The Autumn Statement 2023 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The Autumn Statement 2023

Options
Hannah_Alumni
Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
Good morning, Community!

Today is the day of the Autumn Statement.

We have been having many discussions over possible changes to the welfare benefits in this thread; Welfare benefits news, possible changes & constructive ‘discussion - an ongoing thread.

We know it has been daunting and upsetting for lots of you. But today we will know for sure what their plan is. So, we wanted a thread to put everything in after the statement has been made.

This is going to be a place for you to discuss the announcement, vent and for us, as well as members, to support each other. Because we are a community <3 

We know emotions will be high today, opinions will be diverse. But please remember the community house rules and community guidelines. Let's make sure we're supporting each other.

I want to finish this first post with a list of mental health resources. For those who feel they'd like to talk to someone; MindHub of HopeIAPT and SHOUT
Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Comments

• Sammy19_19
    Sammy19_19 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I know. It is absolutely terrifying.

Wherever disabled go have to bed for help and explain most time we have door shut on us, I about to just give in
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    I have merged the threads together <3 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • charl1980
    charl1980 Community member Posts: 130 Courageous
    Options
    I'm getting into a right state just worried, not for me as I do work part time but for my partner how can a man that cannot stand , sit , socially engage and is incontinent most days and in constant pain work, and cannot even answer a telephone at times, plus has attempted suicide in the past , how the hell can he work , it's a joke a absolute joke , I have got myself in a absolute mess, I had to go and see my GP yesterday, and have had to seek mental health support, 
    How does one get long term support worker support coz at the minute I feel like I'm drowning 
  • charl1980
    charl1980 Community member Posts: 130 Courageous
    Options
    Note, I'm not a risk to myself or others ❤️
  • Remina
    Remina Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    Options
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @charl1980 I am so glad to hear you have gone to your GP for support. If you do feel you need to speak to someone whilst waiting for that support. SHOUT are a 24/7 texting service that are there to help <3 
    Hannah - She / Her

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    6.7% increase in benefits from April confirmed & increasing the LHA too.
  • apple85
    apple85 Community member Posts: 401 Pioneering
    Options
    With all the ‘giveaways’ I’m wondering if perhaps we are getting an election first half of 2024 after all……………seems a bit early to be doing all this if an election is over 13 months away

i think it’s also designed so the media will focus on the ‘goodies’ and ignore the possible small print and less positive things once the full printed version of this statement gets published

that’s my take away so far
  • apple85
    apple85 Community member Posts: 401 Pioneering
    Options
    I think my positivity from last night may of been premature…….waiting to read things in details and the footnotes
  • Meg24
    Meg24 Community member Posts: 40 Pioneering
    Options
    The Guardian & Independant reporting that the new maximum length of benefit is 18 months without having to find work, then you get put on notice to find work and in 6 months you lose benefits. Are they serious? Are there any exceptions? There have to be some and who will they be? Are they going to backdate this? I have been in the support group for 14 yrs! So do I get kicked off now?! They can't allow this surely, they are talking about literally starving people, throwing us on the streets to die. They are beyond all evil. 
  • Meg24
    Meg24 Community member Posts: 40 Pioneering
    Options
    No sorry just re-read that, it's worse. After 18 months of 'help' there is mandatory work experience, *then they close your benefits. I thought they were only clamping down on people found fit for work but this reads like they are scrapping sick notes and giving us all 18 months and done. Please can someone tell us what the hell.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,603 Pioneering
    edited November 2023
    Options
    They have not said anything specifically about disability benefits yet as far as I am aware !!
    apart from a 6.7% rise

Benefits to stop for those refusing to seek work

Hunt follows through with a clampdown on benefits.

He says that if, after seeking a job for 18 months, a claimant has still not found employment they will have to take part in a mandatory work placement "to increase their skills and improve their employability".

And if they "choose not to engage with the work search process for six months, we will close their case and stop their benefits", he says.

THIS DOES NOT SPECIFICALLY MENTION THE DISABLED

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Meg24 said:
    The Guardian & Independant reporting that the new maximum length of benefit is 18 months without having to find work, then you get put on notice to find work and in 6 months you lose benefits. Are they serious? Are there any exceptions? There have to be some and who will they be? Are they going to backdate this? I have been in the support group for 14 yrs! So do I get kicked off now?! They can't allow this surely, they are talking about literally starving people, throwing us on the streets to die. They are beyond all evil. 
    Thats not what I heard him say as it won’t to apply to everyone. Those that have either LCW (WRAG) or LCWRA (Support Group) are not expected to look for work anyway. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.