Hi, my name is Lodge22! Do I need to notify ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Lodge22! Do I need to notify ESA?

Options
Lodge22
Lodge22 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi I am currently in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance I am moving in with my partner September 2024 we are getting married same month do I need to notify ESA of name change and will my benefit stop I am in the support group 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Which ESA are you claiming? Contributions based/New style or Income Related?

Do you claim any other benefits? if so, which ones? Does your partner claim any benefits? if so which ones exactly? Do they work?

Sorry for all the questions but i can't advise without more information.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lodge22
    Options
    Hi apparently my ESA is the old style it's made up of contribution based & Income related components my partner/husband to be works full time I am also in receipt of Personal Independent Payment 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP won't be affected. Once you move in with your partner then you will need to report the changes to ESA. Any Income Related will stop because your partner works full time. The contributions based part will continue (£129.50/week) because this isn't means tested.

If you're also claiming council tax reduction then you need to report the changes to your local Authority, same applies if you're claiming housing benefit.

I'd advise you to use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. You will need to claim with your partner because it's means tested. If either of you has savings/capital of more than £16,000 then you're excluded from claiming. If you claim UC while still in the Support Group for ESA then you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator When you fill out the calculator make sure you include that you're in the Support Group (LCWRA for UC)

You will also be entitled to the work allowance. This means that a certain amount of earnings your partner receives each month will be ignored before the earnings taper applies. (55% reduction in UC) If you claim for help with any rent it will be £379/month, if you don't then it's £631/month. https://www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk/new-to-universal-credit/universal-credit-and-work/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Lodge22

Welcome to the community! :) I see Poppy has been able to help with your query. I wanted to congratulate you on your upcoming wedding! :) I hope planning hasn't been too stressful! 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Lodge22
    Options
    May I ask from my previous message I am getting married next year what would happen to my Employment Support Allowance both contribution and Income based Employment Support Allowance if my partner moved in with me I am currently in receipt of full housing benefit and I pay £24.21 bedroom tax for two bedrooms I receive council tax reduction my partner works full time I don't work 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.