ESA50 form lost in the post — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA50 form lost in the post

Options
Schnuffel
Schnuffel Community member Posts: 12 Listener
I'm having a meltdown here,filled in a ESA50 renewal form sent it off well in time,got a letter yesterday they never received my new form,now have only a couple of days left to the cut off date.My husband phoned them several times but they didn't help at all.This is making me so ill,that I can't eat sleep and I feel constantly sick.I suffer with multible phobias,panic attacks,depression,I feel like ending it all.We have no help no family or friends.It's only my husband and me.You are my last chance for help.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,683 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The ESA50 form is usually returned back to the Health Assessment Advisory Service, not to ESA. Was it those he rang? Ringing ESA isn't helpful because they are not responsible for these forms, they make referrals only. Anything after that is down to the health assessment providers. The number to ring is please contact us on 0800 288 8777, Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm. https://chdauk.co.uk/about-us/contact-us/

Also the letter they sent may have crossed posted with you returning the form. The reminder letters are automatically generated if they haven't received the form by a certain date.

Before you posted the form, did you keep a copy for yourself? You should have, because sometimes forms may get lost. If you kept a copy you will have it there to send again.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Schnuffel
    Options
    Thank you for your reply,yes that is the number my husband rang about 6 times.We have sent the form back on the 15th of November with their own prepayed envelope,the cut off date is the 30th November,we rang again yesterday and the form is still not there.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Did you keep a copy of the form before returning it? If so then do as I advised. If not there’s a form online you can download and print off here. 

If you also have a vulnerable marker on your file returning the form isn’t as vital because DWP will use their own discretion and can continue with the review without the form. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Schnuffel
    Options
    Yes,we copied everything.including the 2 doctors letters.The problem is,it won't meet the deadline.Been told,it takes over a week to get there.Have you got the proper address to send this too as the prepaid envelope is been sent with the first form,thank you very much for your help.
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2023
    Options
    As it’s returned straight to them then it should take over a week to get there. That only applies to post going to DWP itself. 

I’m afraid you will need to contact the Health Assessment Advisory Service to ask what the address is because it’s different for all areas. 

Please also get proof of posting from the post office when you sent it. It’s free and will prove you posted it if the worst happens. All you need is proof it was sent, not proof it was received. 
  • Schnuffel
    Options
    I have proof of posting from my first form.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Schnuffel, I'm so sorry to read all this. I really hope Poppy's suggestions will help clear up the whole issue for you. In the meantime I've sent you a quick email, so please keep a look out for that.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Schnuffel
    Options
    Hi Adrian,thank you for your email,nice to know someone cares.I suffer acute with agrophobia can't leave the house and have a phobia of loud sudden noises like fireworks,cars back firing etc.I was born with that.On top I have Diabetes and other heath problems like failing kidneys etc.I'm nearly 60 years old and this ESA form problem is making me very ill.I don't even know my doctor as my old doctor retired 2 years ago.He knew all my problems and I trusted him.Since the pandemic I have not been to see any doctor as my phobias got so much worse.How we going to survive if they cut off our money,we don't have nothing else.My husband phoned them so many times,they just don't want to know.Being disabled is hell as it is and now it is unbearable.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If your husband can call them today he could ask them to give an extention for you to return. 
    I have difficulty returning forms and usually send the day before they are due (recorded delivery for my own piece of mind of seeing when it arrived with them) and they've never been marked as late. They're a lot quicker scanning them on than they used to be.

Try and get an extension to put your mind at ease and send in a copy ASAP <3 I've seen others threaten to report to ICO (I think that's what it was) for them loosing their personal data and miraculously it's appeared but that works better if it has been tracked so you can confirm when it arrived to them
  • poppy123456
    Options
    They do not give extra time to return the WCA form. 

As I advised above if there’s a mental health marker on your file then DWP will use their own discretion and can continue with a review without the form. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh really?? That sucks. I know they do for PIP. That's really stupid for a WCA review. Couldn't they just for exceptonal circumstances?? Thanks for the info poppy :)

Hope you sort something @Schnuffel <3
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Oh really?? That sucks. I know they do for PIP. That's really stupid for a WCA review. Couldn't they just for exceptonal circumstances?? Thanks for the info poppy :)

Hope you sort something @Schnuffel <3
    You’re welcome. Yes, no extension. I completely agree that it sucks they don’t allow it. You can actually be found fit for work for failing to return it on time but they do contact you before doing this for you to explain why you didn’t return it on time. 

The only exception to that would of course be those that have vulnerable markers on their file, which would come under exceptional circumstances.
  • Schnuffel
    Options
    Hi,thank you all for your support.My husband phoned them again and still nothing,so they suggested that we photocopy it all again and send it straight to Croyden instead to Wolverhampton.My husband went to the library straight away and then sent the whole lot to Croyden with next day signed delivery.Oh my god,what a nightmare.I never ever had anything like this in nearly 40 years being sick.
    What is a vulnerable marker?
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,404 Scope online community team
    Options
    Fingers crossed it works out for you @Schnuffel, it sounds like it's been incredibly stressful and I'm sorry you've had to deal with it all. Keep us updated with how you get on. 
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Schnuffel
    Options
    Hi Rosie,thank you for your reply and your email.Yes,it has been the worst time for me,I was so ill today that they had to increase some of my medication today.My stomach ulcer is flaring up because of all the worries and the pain is unbearable.I have never been so scared in my life,what we are to do if they stop our money on Friday which is the deadline.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Schnuffel said:

What is a vulnerable marker?
    It's an individual who is identified as having complex needs and/or requires additional support to
    enable them to access DWP benefits.

Schnuffel said:
    what we are to do if they stop our money on Friday which is the deadline.
    Even if there's no vulnerable marker on your file, your ESA will not just stop. First your file will be returned to DWP and marked as failure to return. DWP will then contact you to ask your reasons why you didn't return the form on time. You said you have proof of posting for the form you returned, this is good and is all you need to prove it was posted. What's happened to it after that is beyond your control.

• Schnuffel
    Options
    Thank you Poppy,that makes me feel a little better.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.