If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Jenwren!

Options
Jenwren
Jenwren Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi, I'm Jen, I'm new here *shy wave*. I've visited a few times but finally plucked up courage to join. I have ADHD (recently diagnosed), CFS/ME, Dyspraxia, along with lots of anxiety, grief and depression mixed in (not sure if they count.) I'm currently on ESA (higher tier) and have just been encouraged to apply for PIP which I never considered before, and I just received the forms today. I'm pretty worried about filling them - it was exhausting for my ESA, and I know PIP isn't easy to get and I just look at the form and it's a bit daunting. It's a relief that such communities exist for people. Just wanted to say hi to everyone.
Tagged:

Comments

• Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,801 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jenwren Welcome to the Community. Have a look around and join in when you are ready. If you have any questions please ask. Take care.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,130 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jenwren -& welcome to the community.

As far as PIP goes, it's not about any diagnosis, but rather how your disability affects certain activities of daily living &/mobility. Have a look at the activities/descriptors that are looked at with PIP:  https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/personal-independence-payment-descriptors-and-scores-april-2023.pdf

With your claim form try & give a couple of recent, detailed examples as to the difficulty you face for each applicable descriptor, i.e. when did it happen, where, what happened, did anyone see this, & were there any consequences to attempting/doing an activity?

Say if you can do each applicable activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, to an acceptable standard, repeat as often as one would reasonably expect, or if it takes you much longer than someone without  Just complete a few questions at a time, 

Just complete a few questions at a time, & you can always add extra pages at the end. Just ensure you put your name & National Insurance number on each page. You can also ring the PIP enquiry line on 0800 121 4433 to ask for extra time to complete the form, & you will be given another 2 weeks without question. Keep a copy of everything 'just in case,' & get a free Certificate of Posting from your Post Office when sending the form off.

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,546 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Jenwren, welcome to the community! Hope you'll find our community friendly and welcoming. 

PIP can definitely be a bit daunting, but we have lots of members who have been through it and are willing to help support you through the process. Feel free to make a new discussion in our PIP section if you have any questions. I hope it goes well for you should you decide to go ahead :)

Coffee Lounge can be a fun place to get started if you wanted to take your mind off things for a bit.
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.