Someone here advised me I'd be better off switching from ESA to UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Someone here advised me I'd be better off switching from ESA to UC

Options
Aella
Aella Community member Posts: 23 Connected
So I filled out the UC form, and they're telling me I'd be worse off on UC as I get the enhanced disability premium now, and won't get that until I receive a migration notice to move over to UC.  Was the info I was given on here wrong?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,683 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Yes that was me and I spent a very long time advising you but I can’t seem to find your thread now. Did you ask for it to be deleted?

My advice was correct based on all the information you gave me. I gave you all the calculations from your existing ESA claim and what you would be entitled to if you claimed UC. I give my time freely here despite having a health condition myself.

As I advised in your other thread those that claim ESA in the Support Group that do not claim Severe Disability Premium are better off claiming UC with the LCWRA element. Your ESA does not include the SDP so my advice was correct, you will receive more by claiming UC. 

Who told you that you would be worse off? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Aella
    Options
    UC, the work coach in my journal, have informed me that since I haven't received a migration notice, I would no longer get the enhanced disability premium, and would be worse off.
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2023
    Options
    The work coach isn't correct and it's wrong of them to advise you on this. They will have very little benefits knowledge and you shouldn't rely on them either. 

If you did wait until you received the managed migration letter then you wouldn't be entitled to any Transitional Protection anyway because with UC you're better off. Transitional Protection only applies to those that would be worse off.

I'm rather upset because the last thread of yours from Sunday isn't here. I spent almost all of my evening helping and advising you and now that thread has been removed. You will not be worse off because as i keep advising, LCWRA with UC pays more than ESA Support Group without the SDP.

Calculations from your last thread that i gave.. ESA weekly amount.. £149.05 or £298.10/fortnight. Monthly ESA amount is £645.88.

UC standard allowance 25 and over.. £368.74/month + LCWRA element £390.06/month. Total UC payable £758.80/month.

By claiming UC you will be £112.92/month better off.
    Edit to add, you won't receive the Enhanced disability Premium on UC because it doesn't exist. It's £19.55/week but you're better off by claiming UC anyway so it's a moot point.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Aella
    Options
    Now in the UC to-do list it says "Based on what you told us in your claim, you will need to search for work or ways of earning more than you're currently paid. To help you do this, we provide a work coach."
    What the hell?  I'm in the ESA support group and now they're saying I need to find work?  I wish I had never opened this UC claim.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes, it’s perfectly normal for it to say this when you first claim UC. As I advised on your other thread, which was deleted. It can often take a few weeks for ESA to send your details across to UC and for your claim to be updated. Once this is done you will need to agree to your claimant commitments, which will be to report all changes. All other commitments will be turned off. 

Did you put a message on your journal to tell them that you’re in the Support Group for ESA? like I advised in the other thread. Do you also have a recent letter from ESA that says you’re in the Support Group. You can send them this, or take it with you if you have a new claim appointment at your local job centre. 
  • carbow32
    carbow32 Community member Posts: 115 Pioneering
    Options
    I read somewhere that some ESA claimants would be better off claiming UC.  Hence they are in no rush to migrate and have extended the date.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    carbow32 said:
    I read somewhere that some ESA claimants would be better off claiming UC.  Hence they are in no rush to migrate and have extended the date.
    That will depend on whether their ESA includes the SDP or not and whether they are in the Support Group. If it does then they would definitely be worse off by claiming UC.

If their ESA doesn’t include the SDP then yes potentially they would be better off. However, it will depend on what other benefits, if any they are claiming. (Other than PIP, DLA or ADP) I gave all of this advice to them on the thread on Sunday which has sadly been deleted. 

Aella was only claiming ESA Support Group (no SDP) and no other benefits other than PIP. Therefore yes they would be better off. 

As you correctly pointed out, this is why the Government have delayed migration for those claimants. 

• carbow32
    carbow32 Community member Posts: 115 Pioneering
    edited November 2023
    Options
    It's a shame it got deleted because it is valuable for ESA Claimants (without the SDP).   All the doom and gloom in the media but no one points things like this out. All the oh the disabled are costing us x amount bla bla.  Where's the bla bla but we are saving x amount by not transferring people to UC.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.