Esa & CA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa & CA

Options
Begin
Begin Community member Posts: 30 Listener
My husband gets carers allowance for looking after me. I am currently awaiting a decision on my (new style) esa claim. I have already been awarded highest rate pip, as my osteo arthritis has progressed so quickly. If I get a support esa award with esa will I be able to also claim the disability premium?? Thankyou

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,684 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2023
    Options
    There are no disability premiums payable with New style ESA because it’s a contributions based benefit only. 
    https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums/eligibility

You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. As it’s a means tested benefit then you will need to claim with your partner. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you’re excluded from claiming. 

If awarded ESA then this and the carers allowance will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. 

I also noticed from a previous thread that your husband is receiving a pension, this will also be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Begin
    Options
    Ah Thankyou 
    we do have about £17000 from my husbands pension. 
    Does this stop me claiming esa (I don’t want to claim UC) 
    Is it possible for me to choose which type of esa to claim or is that decided by dwp?? (I worked full time until a year (ish) ago x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The only ESA you can claim now is New style, which you said you've already applied for. It isn't means tested, unless you are receiving a pension that's more than £85/week.  

The other ESA's are no longer possible to claim because all areas are UC now. With savings of more than £16,000 you'll be excluded anyway.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Begin
    Options
    Thankyou poppy
    just to be clear do you mean I’d be excluded from UC- but not excluded from esa?
    if I am awarded esa, having paid full stamp up to a year ago, do you know what rate will I be awarded per week please. Many thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes, excluded from claiming UC. ESA is £84.80/week, providing you're not receiving a pension of more than £85/week. If you are then for every £1 over this amount the ESA is reduced by 50p/week. If placed into the Support Group the amount increases to £129.50/week (before deductions) from the 14th week of your claim. It's then paid for as long as you remain in that group.

If not placed into the Support Group then payments stop after 1 year. If found fit for work then payments will stop once a decision is made.

• Begin
    Options
    Huge thanks for all of this Poppy. Good to speak with someone who really knows what they’re talking about. 
    Thanks again 

• poppy123456
    Options
    You're very welcome and thank you also! :)
  • Begin
    Options
    💐🌸🌷🌼💐🌻🌺🌹🪻
    Poppy, if I could send you a little bunch of flowers for all your help then I would- but these will have to do 😊 xx
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Aww that’s so kind of you, thank you! You really made me smile this morning!! 😁 ❤️

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.