Will my Employment Support Allowance be deducted if I get married and my partner moves in with me — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will my Employment Support Allowance be deducted if I get married and my partner moves in with me

Options
Lodge22
Lodge22 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi I am currently in receipt of Employment Support Allowance my benefit is made up of two components Contribution based and Income based I also receive full housing benefit if I get married next year and my partner who works more than 24 hours a week will my Income based contribution cease and will I still be entitled to contribution element also will I have to pay full rent 

Comments

• Lodge22
    Lodge22 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    I currently claim Employment and Support Allowance which is made up of contribution and Income related if I get married and my partner moves in with me will I automatically lose the Income related element because he works more than 24 hours a week will I still be entitled to the contribution element of the employment support allowance will they take my partner's earnings into consideration I am in receipt of full housing and council tax benefit will I have to start paying full rent and council tax 
  • Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 317 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes the IR ESA will cease. 
    Yes the CB ESA will continue. 
    Yes your partners earnings will be taken into account for HB and CTR.
    Council Tax Relief is administered locally not nationally so different areas have different rules. 

You could try putting your joint income into a benefits calculator and see what the results are. 

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Lodge22

As others have said, your income-related ESA will end but your contribution-based portion of ESA won't be affected. 
    Regarding housing benefit and council tax support, it would depend how much your partner earns. 

Have a go at the benefit calculator that @Kimmy87 has linked above as it will also show if you may be better off switching to Universal Credit.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.