Help required re Doctors report — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help required re Doctors report

Options
perdita
perdita Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
Good Morning,
As I have an ESA assessment coming up, i have asked for a copy of what my Doctor sent to them. I believed that they were usually sent a form to fill in. However my surgery has informed me that they were asked instead to send copies of my last three consultations.
To say I am confused is an understatement. My last three consultations have very little to do with why I am claiming. I realise that it may have little bearing on my assessment and will probably be based on my responses, I am bewildered as to why they spend time and money doing this. Has anyone else come across this and have any further thoughts? 🤔 

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's never a guarantee that ESA will write to any GP when assessing a claimant, it does happen rarely however as is the case with your situation. Before you have a medical assessment for any benefit, the assessor will review your 'file' to see if they can make a recommendation by way of a paper-based assessment. This is the most likely reason why they have wrote to your GP to confirm a few things. Ultimately, the assessor has decided further information is needed hence the assessment appointment.  
  • perdita
    perdita Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Options
    Thank you @bg844 you are absolutely correct in what you say. However, my gripe, is that my disabilities are long standing ...being in a transit wheelchair and incontinence problems due to bile acid malabsorption. I no longer see the doctor about these things. I have had many face to face assessments demonstrating these things and this is supported with enhanced pip. My question is I guess why don't they ask targeted questions rather than asking for my last three consultation s which incidentally are about my mental health which I didn't mention on my ESA form as it wasn't an issue back in June.
    Sorry for the long post and it changes nothing, but there must be many people who are in the same situation with long standing conditions who no longer see their GP for these. But thank you again for your response. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.