DWP v no £20 uplift for people on ESA and income support tribunal result — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP v no £20 uplift for people on ESA and income support tribunal result

Options
mrpip2002uk
mrpip2002uk Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
Hi,dont know if there is a discussion link already on the site for this,but i cant see one?
Has anyone heard or know if the decission from the tribunal judges held last december as been given yet?

It was a tribunal where people on income support and Esa etc took the DWP to court because of the discrimination by the Dwp who gave people on UC a £20 a week uplift during covid,
but people on Esa and income support etc were not awarded the £20 a week uplift.

To me it was a clear case of descrimination,esa and income support are the lowest paid benefits awarded to people so they should have also got the £20 pw uplift

Hopefully someone can tell me if a result from the court case as been decided,its been a year now?
Thanks all ,John

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,726 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    On the 17th January 2023 the court of appeal ruled that the DWP did NOT act unlawfully a simple google search answered that one. 🎄
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• mrpip2002uk
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,701 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mrpip2002uk
    Options
    thank you Poppy, what a poor decision!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,701 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’m a legacy benefits claimant too and to be honest I never did think it was discrimination. 

They included it will UC because of the situation at the time for those that lost lost so much financially due to the pandemic. 

They couldn’t separate those from anyone else claiming UC so had no other option but to give it to all UC claimants. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.