Desperate!! LCWRA/Anxiety/Meetings. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Desperate!! LCWRA/Anxiety/Meetings.

Options
KerriGoblin
KerriGoblin Community member Posts: 1 Listener
*Waves sadly* 👋 

I have been signed off since June this year with stress and ADHD symptoms. 

I am diagnosed with adhd and anxiety. 

Due to a serious sexual assault, I don’t leave the house. Ever. During this whole time, I have been hounded to attend the job centre. I keep not attending due to panic attacks and facial self-harm and my reason for not attending has always been accepted, until now. 

For context, I had my assessment in October and they claimed me to have ‘limited capability for work’.  I am now waiting on a mandatory reconsideration due to the fact I can’t leave my house. I provided all the evidence I possibly could. 

My most recent ‘failed to attend work focus meeting’ (17/11/23) has resulted in me receiving a ‘sanction’, same reason given each time. 

I am a single mum who can’t leave the house. Piles of debt, uc money doesn’t cover bills & rent anyway and now I am being charged £12.10 a day until I attend this work focus meeting at the job centre. 

I can’t put into words the effect this has had on me and I have no other chose but to attend, according to them.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What happened? 

I can’t stop crying and literally pulling my hair out with stress. 

Comments

• TheManFromLondon
    TheManFromLondon Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    edited December 2023
    Options
    KerriGoblin said:
    I am now waiting on a mandatory reconsideration due to the fact I can’t leave my house. I provided all the evidence I possibly could. 

It appears you are waiting for MR for Activity 15: Getting about, Descriptors:(a) Cannot get to any specified place with which the claimant is familiar -15 Points

If I understand correctly you are trying to get LCWRA. You should be aware that this activity does not qualify you for LCWRA.

I would imagine your appropriate descriptor would be : Activity 16: Coping with social engagement due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder, Descriptors:
    (a) Engagement in social contact is always impossible due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the individual - 15 points

Your anxiety due to PTSD/Trauma because of your experience, covers that descriptor. 

So, I feel you phrase it wrong saying your issue is you cant get out of the house, when in fact the issue is you can engage with people at all, hence you don't get out of the house.

It makes a big difference how you phrase things. You can send them additional, more precise information at any stage of the MR, and explain due to your general anxiety you were not as clear as you'd wish in the first information you submitted.

If all the above are correct, dont worry, just put more information in with them. its fine. try to relax (i know, there is no button for that) and keep us updated.

As for your current status, LCW, you have to attend appointments unfortunately, BUT, if you are found to be LCWRA later, you will get all your money back from those sanctions (all sanctions applied after the start of your WCA process).

Good luck.

p.s. Consider applying for PIP.
  • AtlasShoulders
    AtlasShoulders Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    Options
    You should be able to request a telephone or video appointment as a Reasonable Adjustment under the Equality Act. If they refuse to offer this, then this would be unlawful. It might be worth mentioning this on your journal. You can also submit a Mandatory Reconsideration against the sanction on the same basis. 

If you have ongoing issues with a specific work coach, you are allowed to request a new one.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,245 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @KerriGoblin and welcome to the community.  Loving the name. :)

I'm so sorry to hear you've been sanctioned. I would have thought if you asked in your journal for phone only job centre meetings as a reasonable adjustment, they'd have to take that into consideration?  Especially as this is an ongoing thing that they've previously been fine with? 

Can I also ask if you've spoken to anyone regarding your traumas? I'm happy to give you some links.
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • TheManFromLondon
    edited December 2023
    Options
    You should be able to request a telephone or video appointment as a Reasonable Adjustment under the Equality Act. If they refuse to offer this, then this would be unlawful. It might be worth mentioning this on your journal. You can also submit a Mandatory Reconsideration against the sanction on the same basis. 

If you have ongoing issues with a specific work coach, you are allowed to request a new one.
    They did, they accepted it before as OP stated, not anymore. It appears LCW did not confirm an inability to exit home or engage with others.

So, it would be unlawful if she has been found from WCA that she cant exit home, which seems to be very likely. It all comes down to her WCA decision, what descriptors she satisfied, and what evidence she has she cant exit home, for example she could have a PIP award she cant take any journey, or engage with others at all.

With all that being said, a complaint for refusal of unreasonable adjustments could be raised regardless, however, it could also result to not be upheld for the reasons above.

The problem with the " equality act 2010" is you HAVE to prove somehow you are disabled/unable to do a certain thing, and thus you fall under the act. So we cant just say it, or they will say your assessment said otherwise.
  • TheManFromLondon
    Options
    @KerriGoblin What was the decision of your LCW? if it confirms you cant exit home, you can file a complaint for refusal of reasonable adjustments. This would of course be also the case if you have any proof you cant exit home or engage with others.

If you see a Counsellor, or getting therapy, or through your GP, you could ask a letter stating you do not exit home at all. Then you can send it to your work coach (let them know you have a letter and ask to upload it, they should give you a link).

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.