We're still without a Minister for Disabled People... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

We're still without a Minister for Disabled People...

Options
Hannah_Alumni
Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
After the latest cabinet reshuffle, Conservative MP Tom Pursglove, has been moved over to 'Minister for Legal Migration'. After Robert Jenrick recently resigned. 

It has meant that the UK government still does not have a Minister for Disabled People. This is the longest gap without a minister in post, in the last 30 years...

It has created many discussions on social media on whether this role is to be filled or to be scrapped.

Over to you:
  • What are your thoughts on the UK having a Minister for Disabled People?
  • Is there an MP that you think should be in the role?
  • What kind of message does the government think, by having no one in the role, sends to the country's 16 million disabled people?
Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    I still think it's odd that we've been given a "Minister for Common Sense"  but still no one representing the wellbeing of the disabled community.

I think that lacks common sense and makes it look like they're trying to sweep disabled people under the rug for now. 
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • honestjon
    honestjon Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Options
    I still think it's odd that we've been given a "Minister for Common Sense"  but still no one representing the wellbeing of the disabled community.

I think that lacks common sense and makes it look like they're trying to sweep disabled people under the rug for now. 
    They don't bother trying to hide how they really feel towards ill/disabled and any other vulnerable group 
  • honestjon
    honestjon Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Options
    After the latest cabinet reshuffle, Conservative MP Tom Pursglove, has been moved over to 'Minister for Legal Migration'. After Robert Jenrick recently resigned. 

It has meant that the UK government still does not have a Minister for Disabled People. This is the longest gap without a minister in post, in the last 30 years...

It has created many discussions on social media on whether this role is to be filled or to be scrapped.

Over to you:
    • What are your thoughts on the UK having a Minister for Disabled People?
    • Is there an MP that you think should be in the role?
    • What kind of message does the government think, by having no one in the role, sends to the country's 16 million disabled people?
    Someone who is disabled would be more qualified to be minister for the disabled but that is just too sensible for them to make it happen.

• 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    honestjon said:

They don't bother trying to hide how they really feel towards ill/disabled and any other vulnerable group 
    Well what annoys me is that they have never thought it right that 'hen pecked' husbands should have a minister that represents the millions of us.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    honestjon said:

Well what annoys me is that they have never thought it right that 'hen pecked' husbands should have a minister that represents the millions of us.
    Not sure I understand what you mean @2oldcodgers
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    Options
    honestjon said:

Not sure I understand what you mean @2oldcodgers
    It's not worth giving it a thought, @Biblioklept!

As for there being no minister, it isn't any surprise, it just shows how much they care, and they don't.

• SuePaul07
    SuePaul07 Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Options
    This Govt. doesn't care about disabled people and it's shameful.  Depending on your definition of "disabled" i.e. whether you just include people with a "named" disability or you expand it to include things like dementia, there are more disabled people now than, say, 30 years ago and, thanks to advances in science, housing, food technology and medicine, they're living longer than ever - which is great but not, because of the chaos in the NHS.  More and more disabled people seem to be being treated like a burden on society, not that they have a valuable role to play in shaping the state of our very humanity.  
    Best wishes
    Sue

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."  Theodore Roosevelt - "The Man in the Arena" - a speech given at the Sorbonne, Paris on 23.04.1910.
  • onebigvoice
    onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 751 Pioneering
    Options
    I tend to agree with most posts but not trying to complain against the "one we had" as stated I never noticed the difference.
      I was at Cardiff Head Office yesterday and in the meeting room next to ours there was MIND asnd our union reps trying to get movement on the mental issues some of us face, and wanted to attend that one, but when looking at our meeting and the other meeting I could not be in three places at once.
      ANYWAY, while all this was going on, Mark Drakeford stepped down as First Minister for Wales.
      Who, said all your Christmas's can't come as one?
      Disabled minister:  We do need some one to call a Champion For our cause.  Since Wales wanted to increase the number of AM's in the senate I have asked why we are not represented their?
      I wanted to have two people solely applicable to Sick, Disabled and Mental Issues so that points raised can be raised to one person who has the responsibility for those issues.
      You know how it works, you go on line and look to see what you are entitled to after an operation for instance.
      The DWP will direct you to the relevant department.  BUT, you are not given all the facts, because one department will deal with one issue another with something else and so on, yet the NHS will enter all this on one file its called your Medical History.
      Can anyone who has applied to a second tier tribunal through your MP found out what you have to do inorder to get the PHSO to actually do something?
      They get you to restate your case, send in all the information that you don't agree with, get you to have another FOI and MR, they contact the DWP and PIP's find the faults in the reports, and yet will not even write a letter to PIP's and DWP stating they had broken the law, then decide there is no new information so they can't do anythink?  And its up to you as to where you want to go from their? 
      Why when having to go through an MP to log your complaint don't they follow its up apart from a phone call to say sort it.
      Its been over 3 years and where am I RELISTING MY COMPLAINTS AGAIN. 
      I could fill this post with the people I have written to and could also list the excuses that I have had..... top of the list:  I am sorry that you have had to go through this we try to deliver the best service and will take on board what you have said, and are working towards reftifying this.?
      Since this may have been happening to you why don't they contact you to SHOW WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM AND WHAT THEY DID TO RECTIFY IT?  They ring you and offer you £30 as some way to rectify this issue and to show we don't allow this to go un-noticed?  They get paid £1200 for a basic assessment, and still claim this from the DWP good or bad?  Do you still think we don't need a Minister that will actually represent us?  IMAGINE everyone here all sending this "Disability " minister the errors of our assessments and asked him to fix them?
      I have done this in Cardiff, and they resigned.  Wonder why?    

• MarkGibbons1
    MarkGibbons1 Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    Options
    We do need to gave a minister for disabled people, but not from this government, they don't care about disabled people. They'd try and cut our benefits if they could and leave us on the poverty line it's like being in dickensian reality under these tories.
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 489 Pioneering
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope

Is there any real value in maintaining the position? I believe the title "disabled minister" is merely a symbolic gesture without real substance or impact. I don't regret his departure. 

In recent discussions on reforms, Tom Pursglove, the former Minister for Disabled People, supported the government's plan to eliminate work capability assessments. 

A Minister for the Disabled should critically assess proposals and advocate for the concerns of disabled individuals, rather than unreservedly endorsing initiatives without considering potential harm.

A Minister who just agrees with the government isn't really standing up for the rights of disabled people. In my own view no replacement required what is the point? The next one will just merely be toeing the government line.

• matthewsmum29
    matthewsmum29 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    It isn't really a surprise - it's what you would expect from our cynical, uncaring government. Their attitude towards disabled people is heartless. According to Jeremy Hunt, disabled people should be working from home and not scrounging off the state. To be honest, there isn't a single Conservative MP with the compassion or empathy to represent disabled people.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In my opinion having a Minister for Disabled people is a vital role for disabled voices. I do think we should have someone in that position. I think people's opinions on the role and how the role works will be different amongst us because of our different opinions on politics. Also, how each party treat the role as well as how each Minister in the position treats that role. 

If they are scrapping the role (there have been discussions on a U-Turn) then I think another route is to have representatives for disabled voices in every sector of government. If the role was created so disabled voices are heard, then we must continue to be heard. Disabled people are still facing many barriers.

I do find it baffling that they have scrapped it after the Autumn Statement and giving us an insight into what they would like to plan to do in regard to getting more disabled people back into work...
    Hannah - She / Her

• SWOWdrOthE
    SWOWdrOthE Scope Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    I don't know much about politics but having a disability is something I know a lot about and I know think we should have an MP whom has a disability to stand up for people with disabilities because that sort of person would not only fight for us but understand a lot more of the daily issues that need changing to make our lives better.
  • martymart
    martymart Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
    Options
    There should be a MP for Disabilities, someone who is able to be an advocate for people who are unable to have their voices heard. Unfortunately the current government appears to be streamlining all MPs with a view to what the government are wanting to achieve irrespective of the damage caused. 
  • Ralph
    Ralph Community member Posts: 95 Pioneering
    Options
    The Tories are currently running a hostile environment against anyone who is not one of them. This decision is not surprising. 
  • MarkGibbons1
    MarkGibbons1 Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    Options
    As I said earlier and a lot of people are saying the tories just don't care about us people with disabilities. It all started with cameron when his son died he turned against disabled people. Cut benefits made it tougher for disabled people to claim benefits I have worked but had to give my job up in 2010 due to my physical and mental health disabilities got worse I could do the job any more.
    And uts got harder too, why do we have to prove how disabled we are it's degrading. We're living in Dickension times under this government I'm surprised they haven't brought the work house's back. So it doesn't surprise me that they don't have a disabled minister as they truly don't care!!!
  • richump
    richump Scope Member Posts: 6 Connected
    Options
    the government don’t care about disabled people
  • veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 242 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes.  We do need a minister for Disabled people  to represent us and stand up for our rights.  
    Someone who might make a very effective spokesperson might possibly the to recall Ann Widdecombe. 
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,605 Pioneering
    Options
    I hadn't realised that there was no minister for disabled
    There is PUS responsible but she is not a full minister
    This is not good enough
    I think that this is appalling and the post needs a minister....

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.