Universal credit migration help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit migration help

Matt1982 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
We are currently claiming tax credits and have recently received a managed migration to universal credit notice. Our son has been awarded DLA higher rate care and I am currently claiming Carers Allowance. My partner works and is earning about £100 less per month than the 30 hour threshold to what I've read would be part of the universal credit claimant commitment for the 'main carer '. 

Am I correct in thinking that my partner can still be nominated as the main carer for our children(as we have 2 in total) even though I claim carers allowance for our son? Will we be sanctioned if the wage is not increased to the 30 hour level or will they take into account that we both have caring responsibilities for our child?

Thank you for taking the time to read!


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,295 Disability Gamechanger
    As you're claiming carers allowance for your one son then you will not have any work commiments yourself. Your partner will not be classed as the main carer for your other child. For UC there's no minimum amount of hours you can or can't work, it's based on earnings received each month.

    Current AETs are £677 (single) and £1083.(couples)
    These are (or were!) due to go up in "Autumn 2023" to £812 and £1309.
    In April, these will go up to £892 and £1437.
    Then at some point next year, the couples rate will be cancelled, and each claimant will only ever be put in the light touch regime based on their own earnings.

    They won't sanction you for earning less that that amount but work focused interviews maybe required if earnings are less than this. It will really depend on what their commiments are set at by their work coach.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Matt1982
    Matt1982 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Thank you for your reply it's very helpful. When you say my partner won't be classed as the main carer for my other child, do you mean that she won't be classed as having parental responsibility in her hours for her claimant commitment? So 30 hours I understand it?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.