Epilepsy and Driving - Query — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Epilepsy and Driving - Query

Options
Julia21
Julia21 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
Hello
My son has nocturnal (during his sleep) epilepsy.  He had a provisional licence but stopped learning to drive when diagnosed 2 years ago.  His condition is well-managed on medication and he's not had a seizure in his sleep for over a year.  He's never had one in the day.
He reapplied to the DVLA for his licence and a month or so ago his GP rang him to write a report for same - as the DVLA had contacted his Doctor directly.
Today, he's had a letter from the DVLA telling him he 'must not drive' and that he'd had a seizure within the last 12 months.
As this is not the case, he's emailed his Dr for a copy of the letter they sent to the DVLA and asking for a reassessment - so he can ask the DVLA to reconsider.
However, reading the 5 considerations under the DVLA 'special considerations for epilepsy' point 5. mentions 3 years.  I just want to check as I'm confused: as I don't understand why asleep seizures would require a 3-year ban but awake seizures only 1 year?
I may be misunderstanding as it's been a long day but grateful for any advice/ thoughts please.
Thanks very much in advance. 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,640 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Agreed it is confusing I had to stop driving 28 years ago after my first seizure and as I have them on a regular basis (several a day absences /2-3 a week for full blown seizures) it's odd that if you only have daytime seizures you can drive after being seizure free for 12 months, but if you have nocturnal ones it's three years.
    Personally even if I went ten years I would never drive again.

Just to add these are the rules as I understand them and it's possible they may have changed so always get advice from the DVLA
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.