Hi, my name is Tigger64! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Tigger64!

Tigger64 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, I'm new.
I'm approaching my 60th birthday (april), and live with my disabled wife (early 50s).
We've been together 10 years now. She struggles with multiple conditions and, in the summer having worked in offices all my life, I plunged into the world of care, having cared for my wife more has her conditions have increased and deteriorated.
I hope to glean information to ensure my darling wife gets what she deserves and is entitled to.
Having moved to PIP in 2017, with enhanced mobility,  standard daily living (missed out by 1 point on enhanced), its taken 6 years to persuade my wife to tell PIP she has got worse,  last week told enhanced for both.
Also had confirmed they will consider if wife should have been awarded more points at original claim for needing support,  so may get some back dated 🤞
Wife also gets ESA contribution  I think I was earning too much for any 'income support' type benefits,  but now I'm working and earning less, might this entitle wife to disability premiums? 
I don't claim carers allowance as above that limit, and downside is I get some money from private pension. 
Hope this makes sense and someone may know a bit more to aid my knowledge 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,146 Disability Gamechanger
    If your wife's ESA is the old contributions based ESA then because you're earning more than £139/week, which is above the carers allowance limit then she will have no entitlement to any disability premiums because of your earnings.

    You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. Her ESA will continue as normal but be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. As she's in the Support Group for ESA then she'll be entitled to the LCWRA element of UC from the start of her claim.

    As it's a means tested benefit, you will need to claim as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration. If you have capital of more than £16,000 then you'll be excluded from claim.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,081 Scope online community team
    Hey there @Tigger64 and welcome to the community.

    I've very sorry to hear about your wifes struggles, but I'm very glad you've found us.  I can see you're already receiving some great advice, but I just wanted to pop in and say hi. 
    Albus (he/him)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.