Laid back group for people with gender issues? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Laid back group for people with gender issues?

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,865 Disability Gamechanger

I have noticed that the online community of people with issues relating to their gender (i.e. non-binary or transgender or whatever else) can be quite toxic, with different “factions” within that community representing groups with differing opinions, and they are all rather intolerant of each other.

I suspect this is an online phenomenon because I have met lots of people in real life with all sorts of different gender issues and almost all of them have just been what I’d call “normal” people, friendly, happy to chat about random stuff as well as gender, don’t take life, or themselves, too seriously. Not one person was what I’d call “radical” or “militant”.

Unfortunately with other problems like social anxiety issues I find talking online is much easier than meeting people in real life, as long as the group is friendly (which is why I like Scope :) ). I am just wondering if anyone knows of an online group that revolves around issues relating to gender, but for people who are not misery-guts and who are happy to just have a chat and a laugh? :D 

Maybe someone wants to start one, maybe on here?!

Thanks!

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,513 Scope online community team
    Options
    People tend to be a lot more combative and defensive online from personal experience and people who identify outside of the conventional gender norms are usually used to have to defend themselves from people who're being less inquisitive and more insulting.  It can be a very difficult and personal thing for many to talk about. 

Though I'd not say anyone ever has gender issues, that implies there's something wrong. ;) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,865 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Albus_Scope might have understood you wrong but what you say is exactly why I think a friendly supportive community is needed.

Unless I am the only one in the world, which I am not as I have met many, there must be lots of "normal" people with these types of issues who just want to find a friendly and supportive community, not somewhere to have a fight.

I am not one for going through posts with a fine tooth comb to make sure it's politically correct but I am perfectly happy to say I have gender issues - there is something wrong in my case! :D 
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 999 Pioneering
    Options

Maybe you'd like to start one and maybe you just did ;) it's open to anyone anywhere of course. We naturally avoid hostile people IRL and lean towards those we sense have good intent so that's the difference perhaps.    

It's the oldest battle in the world, men and women. Change has never been easy. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.