Advice please - esa contributions, income related top up, UC migration — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice please - esa contributions, income related top up, UC migration

Options
so4ia
so4ia Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone I am new here and hoping I can get some advice, I am mostly housebound getting face to face to face help is a no go, so this is magical.
I am in receipt of esa contributions in the support group since it migrated from incapacity benefit, pip higher rate, income related esa top up and council tax discount. My savings will soon go over 6000 and i understand if over 16000  the income related-top up will stop but i will still get contributions esa and pip.
My questions and confusions concern universal credit.
I have read "claimants who are on contributions based jobseekers allowance or employment support allowance and are entitled to income based jobseekers allowance or income related employment support allowance would be asked to move to universal credit, migrating income support claimants will begin April-June 2024".

Q1. Does this include me? I heard it was 2028?
Q2. If i am automatically placed on universal credit will i loose my contributions based esa altogether??
Q3. or does the universal credit just replace the income related top up? and if my savings go over 16,000 whilst on universal credit, i will not be entitled to the universal credit anymore, but still get contributions based esa?

To be blunt my issue is basically i want rid of the top up, i will be receiving inheritance in the near future and its stressing me out (life was much easier when i was on contributions esa only).
I would be so appreciative for any information I am beyond stressed about this, I thought i had plenty of time to worry about it, but perhaps not! x Thank you x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2023
    Options
    so4ia said:
     My savings will soon go over 6000 and i understand if over 16000  the income related-top up will stop but i will still get contributions esa and pip.

For every £250 or part thereof over £6,000 there's a £1/week deduction in your Income Related ESA. The cost of living payments are disregarded for an indefinite period so please take that into consideration for your capital amounts.

For savings of more than £16,000 then all means tested benefits will end. You will continue with your contributions based ESA at £129.50/week.
    so4ia said:

My questions and confusions concern universal credit.
    I have read "claimants who are on contributions based jobseekers allowance or employment support allowance and are entitled to income based jobseekers allowance or income related employment support allowance would be asked to move to universal credit, migrating income support claimants will begin April-June 2024".

Seems like you're rather confused here. Contributions based JSA (New style JSA as it's now known as) can't include an income Related top up because it's a contributions based benefit only. Even the old contributions based JSA could not include an Income Related top up.

Only the old contributions based ESA can include the Income Related top up. Those that are claiming New style ESA will not be entitled to the Income Related top up because it's a contributions based benefit only.

It's only Income Related JSA and ESA that will be migrated to UC. Those that are claiming Income Related ESA will not be migrated to UC until at least 2028, unless they are also claiming Tax credits.

so4ia said:

Q1. Does this include me? I heard it was 2028?
    Q2. If i am automatically placed on universal credit will i loose my contributions based esa altogether??
    Q3. or does the universal credit just replace the income related top up? and if my savings go over 16,000 whilst on universal credit, i will not be entitled to the universal credit anymore, but still get contributions based esa?

To be blunt my issue is basically i want rid of the top up, i will be receiving inheritance in the near future and its stressing me out (life was much easier when i was on contributions esa only).
    I would be so appreciative for any information I am beyond stressed about this, I thought i had plenty of time to worry about it, but perhaps not! x Thank you x
    1/ As advised above, you will not be migrated to UC until at least 2028, unless you're claiming Tax credits.

2/ You won't automatically be placed onto UC. When the time comes you will be sent a let inviting you to apply and you will need to apply yourself. Any contributions based ESA you're claiming will continue as normal but be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

Those that are only claiming either contributions based ESA or New style ESA will not be migrated to UC.

3/ When you eventually claim UC if your savings go over £16,000 then UC will end but your contributions based ESA will continue (£129.50/week) Please note the figures i've used are for this tax year. If benefits increase each April then the figures will be different.

PIP is not affected by any capital. If you're claiming housing benefit and/or council tax reduction then both are affected by capital. For CTR then some local Authorities have a maximum savings limit of £6,000 before entitlement ends. Single person discount (if entitled, will continue)

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • so4ia
    so4ia Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Poppy thank you so very much for answering all my questions, I really appreciate your help.  Have a lovely Christmas and New Year x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're welcome. Thank you, you too! :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.