Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Living Wage vs Carers Allowance

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
£13.15 per hour vs £2.55 per hour maximum 
Makes you think doesn't it? 

Comments

• 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    What you also have to consider is if you don't do the caring role and expect the LA to do it for you it will cost the caree a lot more and maybe their home too if residential care is required.
    I'd take the £2.55 per hour and tell the LA to get lost.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,682 Scope online community team
    Options
    I think a lot of people just don't realise how little it is until they or people around them have experience with it. It definitely does make it more stark when you put those two numbers side by side.
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I think a lot of people just don't realise how little it is until they or people around them have experience with it. It definitely does make it more stark when you put those two numbers side by side.
    It's about time that carers were recognised for what they do for such a tiny reward and how much money they save the country. 
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    It's about time that carers were recognised for what they do for such a tiny reward and how much money they save the country. 

Carers are recognised but clearly not in a monitory sense. Most if not all carers carry out that work either out of a sense of duty or simply want to do it for their loved one.
    To consider that caring should be compensated by a decent wage would possibly give rise to many seeing it as a way of earning out of the state.
    Isn't this similar to PIP or DLA where the payment is not to cover the full costs but seen as a token for those that carry the duty out.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.