I messed up — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I messed up

Options
Nervyjerry
Nervyjerry Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited December 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
I did not tell UC I was made homeless n survived for 6 months using my benefit including HC.

I am so sorry I suffer from extreme depression anxiety and stress and fell into alcohol addiction. 

Is there any way out of this hole I dug myself in?

I heard they could do a random review n I been dam near suicidal thinking of getting a criminal record which means I can never have a meaniful employment ever or migrate to the USA or anything I always wanted to do in my life. 

I was so miserable alone n on Al ohol I just didn't think of declaring it. 

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,404 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Nervyjerry, welcome to the community. It sounds like you've been through a lot. 

Sorry if I've misunderstood you, is the problem that you weren't paying any rent for 7 months and were still claiming the housing element of UC while you were sofa surfing? I don't mean this as a judgement, just clarifying so I can understand.

One thing you could consider is asking an independent advisor to see if they can help you decide what to do. Turn2Us - AdviceFinder might be worth a look if you're unsure. And hopefully some more of our members will be along soon to offer their advice and experience :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Nervyjerry
    Options
    I paid some rent to hostels n some friends who let me stay at theirs, sorry I edited the original post as I thought it was a bit too much information. 

I got the HC for like 6 months n tbh I paid rent but most was spent on drink.

N now I applied for new HC and it's taking forever for it to be verified so I am thinking it's the beginning of the end for me. 

If they ask me for my bank statements then my goose has really been cooked. Extra crispy I may add complete with toast potatoes. 

I don't know why I didn't declare it I am usual on point with this I actually went law school n nva broken a single law in my life got no criminal record or anything adverse but I was so depressed I nva thought I live 6 more months I just wanted to drink myself to death I list my wife two years ago, lost my job n on top developed nxiety n stress related illnesses I swear no joke I had constipation for like 6 months n ED cos I was so miserable I could only function if I was drunk or high on smth.

I had to go church n started a prayer schedule n only then did things start looking up n I decided I won't let this kill me I will fight for my life but then now it seems the past is coming for me.

I must face it like a man I guess. 
  • Nervyjerry
    Options
    @Rosie_Scope

Yes I have n I fear the worse is yet to come. Ever since I started praying I noticed my anxiety has lessened n I don't hav  the urge to as strong to go n buy two cans of beer the moment I open my eyes in the morning.

My eyes are flooded with tears as I write this. I w
    as a broken man still sort of am just maybe held together with tape atm. 

I have no family in the UK, n I lost the one woman who cared for me my beautiful wife. She left me n since then I just haven't got my bearings. Even when I got a job I couldn't hold on to it I am basically defected product. But I still have some hope I know that there is a higher power  cos when I started praying I mean getting on my knees n speaking out my worries to God, I know many folks in UK don't believe this but it made things better. I swear it did. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You keep mentioning HC but do you mean Housing element. (HE) Were you continuing to claiming housing element when you shouldn’t have been? 

Rent can be claimed when living in temporary housing such as hostels but it’s not paid with UC. For this you would have needed to claim housing benefit, which is a completely different benefit to UC. 

All I can advise is that you tell them what happened and be honest. You may also want to get some expert advice from an agency near you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear that you've had such a hard time @Nervyjerry, but I'm glad you're finding some comfort in your religion. Is there anyone at your Church or anywhere else that's helping to support you through your struggles? Do you get any support for your mental health at all, perhaps from a GP or medical professional? 

It may just be that there is a back up of paperwork coming up to Christmas and it will get verified soon, but if it does end up becoming a difficult situation it would be a good idea to ask an independent advisor as I posted above. They can help you work out where you stand and whether there's anything you could do to set things right :) 

You could also try Citizens Advice to see if they can help you understand what might happen next.
    Rosie (she/her)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Nervyjerry
    Options
    I have monthly reviews with my GP @Rosie_Scope. I done some counselling which was what actually saved me from turning off my TV at the very start of the issue during covid but then they had to let me go cos they done all they could for me. I have family but they not in UK n my mum been telling me to find God n things will change but I never believed her I just couldn't imagine how that would work bug eventually I tried n it has made things so much better.

Let's see if it gets verified at the end. It's too late to like confess now if they call me in then I tell em everything but I won't volunteer any info unless I am asked. 
  • Rosie_Scope
    Options
    It's your decision whether to tell them or not, but I hope things work out okay for you. If you do find yourself in difficulties, there are lots of places that can help.

Turn2Us - AdviceFinder was the link I was referring to for advisors in case you missed it.

There's also help available for your mental health if you do find things are getting too much. Shout offer a texting service, CALM have some resources, and of course there's the Samaritans if you find yourself in crisis. 

And you can always come to the online community for support too, we have some lovely members who I'm sure would offer some friendship :) 
    Rosie (she/her)

• poppy123456
    Options
    If you were claiming housing element when you weren’t entitled to it then you need to tell them. All changes must be reported and as a claimant you are responsible for doing this. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Nervyjerry
    Options
    U are right. But I left it so late am worried they won't believe I didn't mean to be dishonest but I guess thy don't matter. 

I will make a decision on this tonight I can't live with the guilt. It's eating me alive. 

I know they picked up on something its only a matter of time. 
    Thanks for all the advise. 
    Much appreciated. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I understand why it’s worrying you, I would be the same. It’s always better to be honest because they will eventually find out. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.