Not feeling too good - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Not feeling too good

Options
2»

Comments

• Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,143 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You were very brave @66Mustang. But well worth saying. 
    Hope it works for you. 
    You really shouldn’t go to someone else home and be grumpy. That’s just rude. 
    is there a sad reason for it. 

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,939 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @ada

She doesn't do it for no reason, she is elderly and is in a lot of pain. I can sympathise and understand the reasons she is upset. She is young at heart, absolutely hates being old.

But I don't think she should be grumpy with us, the pain is not our fault after all.

Thanks for the kind message and hope you are having an OK day
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,143 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your very special @66Mustang she’s lucky to have you in her life 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,777 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66Mustang thats awesome well done you !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Autism_at_40
    Autism_at_40 Community member Posts: 724 Pioneering
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    I am struggling but just did a good thing that I am really proud of.

I am usually diplomatic with my relative but she was in an especially bad mood today so I said in front of her "I am just going to take 30 mins in my room until people have calmed down"

It was hard to have the courage to say that but I think it's sewing the seeds to get her to understand that her temper affects me
    Wow, that is really good  :)
    I've struggled in the past to tell people that I need the time away.  It's definitely a good thing.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,525 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

@66Mustang
    Oh I’m so proud off you, you have come so far, it’s great you were able to speak up, and hopefully your relative will have a think to themselves how their mood has affected you and your other family members. ❤️

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As someone who is likely older than some of you, but is also in pain, as many of us are, that's no reason to make another's life anything from uncomfortable to downright difficult, especially when it's another family member. 
    I'm still 27 in my head (so young at heart!), & look back at the opportunities & experiences I have enjoyed when younger, & now go with the flow of time & that I still have opportunities to find the most simple of pleasures, especially with my family.
    Your grumpy relative is in danger of alienating the very people that are there for them, so good you gave them a wake up call. Some people are a glass half full sort of person, others not; sometimes difficult to change their mindset, but you have tried, which will help all of your family, including them, if they take this onboard. Good for you. :)
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks all for the comments and support, it really does mean a lot and helps me a lot.

@chiarieds I share that very same opinion, but it is helpful to actually hear it from someone who is in pain, because it's easy for me to say "I wouldn't behave like that" having never been in constant pain myself.

I am going to post a message I posted on another thread as I think it is relevant for here as well.

--

Sorry I didn't post yesterday evening, I was really tired after all the activity and went to bed at 7.30pm.

My relative who we call "Grumpy" had a real turn last night. She was all right during the day except for the usual moaning and complaining, but at dinner she randomly got up and swore and said I'm going to bed. We didn't see her until the morning when she has just apologised for her behaviour and said she had an awful headache but is feeling a lot better today so let's see how today goes.

-- 

Hope everyone has a great Boxing Day!!! :) 
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,884 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    well done that you managed to get away for a bit, sorry you had to go through that, i hope your ok now
  • 66Mustang
    Options
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,460 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Is it just you and your family for New Year or any visitors? @66Mustang
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Beaver79 we are just having a small gathering, not having the "grumpy one" round, so should be good and peaceful

Hope you are having a nice New Year as well.
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,460 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We usually just have a couple of neighbours round @66Mustang
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    That sounds nice, hope you enjoy it :) 

I should have mentioned we are having the people round on New Year's Day, I am usually asleep well before midnight on New Year's Eve :D:D 
  • CherSaysHello
    CherSaysHello Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
    Options
    @66Mustang Well done on facing an anxiety provoking situation and handling it sensitively whilst carving out your own boundaries. Christmas can be a bit of a pressure cooker family wise and I totally appreciate how you would have felt! Bravo 👏🏻

I hope the rest of the festive period goes well and dont be afraid to take a breather if you feel the need 💚
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks for your kind words @CherSaysHello and it's nice to see you, I hope you had a nice Christmas :) 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I know that would have taken a lot for you to do and you absolutely did the right thing @66Mustang!! <3 Well done! I hope she's reflected on her behaviour and is better next time she visits!!!
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks @Biblioklept :smiley: 

Sadly I don't think she will ever change but we will keep trying just in case

She has had customer service reps put the phone down on her, GP nurses tell her to stop abusing them and putting the phone down. She used to be quite high up at work and everyone was scared of her...at least we know its not just us she is like it with.

That said my attitude is even if she will never change we should still stand up to her as if we just take the abuse it just teaches her she is OK to be that way

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.