council tax help if you have money in the bank — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

council tax help if you have money in the bank

Options
Hazzardaguess
Hazzardaguess Community member Posts: 3 Listener
hi
i have just been awarded pip for daily living (on enhanced rate) - nothing for mobility
if you have more than £16k in the bank and are on this benefit are you able to claim for council tax help?

many thanks 

Comments

• noman
    noman Community member Posts: 565 Pioneering
    Options
    Copied from my local council.

You can apply for council tax support if you:

• live at the property
    • pay council tax
    • have a low income, or are entitled to a benefit paid by the Department for Work and Pensions or the Pension Service
    • have capital of less than £3000, if you are working age; or £16,000 if you are of pension credit age
  • noman
    noman Community member Posts: 565 Pioneering
    Options

What money is counted when working out your claim?

We count any money you have coming in. This includes:

• Department for Work and Pensions benefits
    • maintenance
    • works pensions
    • wages
    • Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit.

This is not a complete list. If you’re not sure - tell us anyway.

What about other money I have?

Small amounts of savings and investments, including current bank accounts may not affect your claim, but you must tell us about them. You’ll need to tell us about your partner’s accounts too.

If you having savings over £3,000 then you will not be eligible to claim.

If you’re pension age you can have up to £16,000 in savings.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will not be entitled to any means tested benefits if you have more than £16,000. If part of those savings are from any money that was owed to you from your recent PIP award then they are disregarded from means tested benefits for 1 year.

For council tax reduction some local authorities have a maximum savings limit of £6,000 and they all have their own rules on this.

Whether you'll be entitled to any council tax discounts will depend on your circumstances. Council Tax discount is different to CTR and are not affected by savings. 

There's a council tax band reduction which maybe possible. Details here. https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/discounts-for-disabled-people

There's also a carers discount, if you live with another adult. However, if that other adult is a partner then they won't be able to claim this discount. Details here. https://www.turn2us.org.uk/get-support/information-for-your-situation/council-tax-discounts/carers

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.