Hi, my name is slm35! Will I need to repay the carer's element? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is slm35! Will I need to repay the carer's element?

Options
slm35
slm35 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited December 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, I’m hoping someone can help, my partner gets lcwra on uc and I claim the carers element I’ve been sent a uc50 form to fill in myself as I’ve just been diagnosed with ASD and ADHD if I get awarded lcwra I’m aware I lose the carer element but does anyone no if il need to repay what they are currently paying me for the carer element while I’m waiting for my assessment and decision I’m just worried that if it takes months to get my assessment that I will end up owing lots in carer element if I’m awarded lcwra, sorry for the long post tia 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,814 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you're claiming UC as a couple and you're found to have LCWRA for yourself then nothing changes. This is because you can only receive the 1 LCWRA element per claim. As you're partner already receives this for theirself then you won't be entitled to the extra money.

Your UC will still include the 1 LCWRA element and 1 carers element. You won't owe them anything and they won't owe you anything.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • slm35
    Options
    Thank you poppy! He already receives the extra payment for lcwra and I receive the payment for carers element I was just so worried that if I get awarded lwcra aswell that il lose carer element and have to pay it back. I’m aware i won’t get any extra money if I’m awarded lcwra as he already receives that, just concerned about losing the carer element if I’m awarded and having to repay what they’ve paid while I wait for an assessment so sorry if I’m not making sense thank you 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No, you won't lose the carers element because you won't be receiving the extra money for LCWRA. It's only those that actually receive the LCWRA element payment that can't receive carers element at the same time. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • slm35
    Options
    Thank you so much for this information poppy that’s really helpful I was advised that if I get awarded lcwra as I care for my partner who receives lcwra that I would lose carer element for him as you can’t be awarded lcwra and care for someone 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome. Who ever told you that, was not correct.
  • slm35
    Options
    I’m so greatful for the clarification I suffer with intense anxiety so this has helped relieve that, you read so much on the internet and sometimes it’s not correct set panic in, hoping my uc50 form gets to them soon was posted first class signed on the 15.12.23 still not with them I also care for my partner and get lcw so was unsure why I was sent a uc50 form to fill out 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @slm35

Welcome to the community! :) I am so glad Poppy was able to help clarify it for you. I just wanted to check in as you mentioned having intense anxiety. Are you getting support at the moment? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • slm35
    Options
    Thank you, currently not getting any support at the moment recently diagnosed with asd and adhd and care for my partner full time all these forms and assessments and waiting on decisions really effectting my health, I’ve had a text today from dwp saying we not yet made a decision on your pip claim no idea how long that will be, probably have another assessment soon for lcwra it’s just so much 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @slm35 I would encourage you to speak to your GP, or you can refer yourself to talking therapies if you feel you need more support <3 I hope the community can continue to be a place of support and friendship for you :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If you already have LCW then this may just be a normal review, if you didn't report any changes. You should have had a letter uploaded onto your journal when they referred you for another work capability assessment.
  • slm35
    Options
    I had the letter on my journal on the 7.12.23 I reported a new health condition after the letter as that was when I had my diagnosis so maybe just a normal review then I filled the form in and sent it back with a copy of my report on the 15.12.23 but with Christmas it hasn’t arrived yet and it has to reach them by 9.1.24 so abit worried
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The form is always returned straight to the Health Assessment Advisory Service and not to DWP so they should receive it quite quickly. I wouldn't worry too much to be honest because as a carer you have no work commiments anyway, regardless of what the decision on the WCA will be.
  • slm35
    Options
    I did send it first class signed on the 15.12.23 still not there but expected with Christmas. I wish uc explained it more like you have as you have helped ease my anxiety so much today so much 😊this is why I was so confused I had a uc50 form sent out when I care for my partner and get lcw the letter wasn’t helpful didn’t say review just said we are sending you a uc50 form to complete 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.