Help! HA flat is unsuitable for me, what can I do? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help! HA flat is unsuitable for me, what can I do?

Options
Tubz
Tubz Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
Can anyone help please?
I have recently moved into a housing association flat and there are multiple issues with it.
I was only able to view it once before I accepted the tenancy as I lived a long way away before. None of the issues were apparent when I viewed it, so I signed for it in good faith.
The main issue is noise. I have Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD as well as severe anxiety. These were all declared to both my previous housing association and also my current one before I signed the tenancy agreement. (In fact I have been offered support for them by my current housing association. )
I have experienced the tenant upstairs Hoovering, exercising, running about, slamming doors and drawers in the middle of the night most nights since I moved in. (By night I mean 2am 4am etc). Today I woke up to a leak coming through the light in my bathroom ceiling. The long and short of it is that the person upstairs has let the place get into such a state, that their toilet soil pipe is now leaking into my flat, rendering the bathroom unusable!  The housing association sent out workmen who have stemmed the leak, but there's damage to the ceiling, and possibly to the light switches/isolator fan etc. I have been placed in temporary accommodation until next Wednesday. 
Additionally there are a large group of kids who run up and down the road, next to my windows (the way the flats are built on a hill means they follow the slope of the road), screaming and yelling for hours on end. They also continuously kick footballs into the building, causing it to vibrate, as well as come into the building entrance (the door is often left propped open!), and slam the door behind them. 
I can't deal with the noise. My anxiety is through the roof, and I am close to a meltdown. It was not like this when I visited. I would certainly not have agreed to the tenancy if it had been. I have made a formal complaint to the HA this evening, but I just feel so anxious and upset that I can't even sleep. Does anyone know what rights I have as a disabled person in such a situation? P.S sorry I didn't reply to the comments on my last post. I've had all this to deal with since. 😞 

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Hi @Tubz, really sorry to hear your housing hasn't worked out well for you. That does sound very stressful and I can see why you're having a hard time. 

Have you ever had any contact with Citizens Advice? They might be able to give you some support on how to tackle this with the HA. 

You could also try finding an advisor on the Turn2Us AdviceFinder to see if there are any local services that could help you out with your housing issues.

I'm sorry that I don't have any more solid advice for your situation, but hopefully some of our members might have been through similar experiences and can share what they found useful. I hope things get better for you soon :)

Just so you know, I've modified the title of your post so that more members can find it, I hope that's okay with you. Please let me know if you'd prefer me to change it back.
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't think any HA landlord would be able to tell you what the neighbours are like and the same will apply to all areas. The one possible way to find out would be to knock on your neighbours doors to ask for some feedback.

It's always going to be more noisy living in a flat, which ever floor you live on. You can knock on their door to ask them if they could please be a little more considerate in the early hours of morning. Noise does sound louder at night but to hoover at this time is quite inconsiderate.

With the kids outside, again you can ask them not to kick a ball against the wall and not to come into the building.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 969 Pioneering
    Options

With the kids outside, again you can ask them not to kick a ball against the wall and not to come into the building.
    My parents moved to a tiny village and had this problem - the kids doubled down on their anti-social behaviour when confronted and parents didn't stay long
    (young people can be offended if you look at them never mind speak these days!)

Tubz, hello, it sounds horrendous and the new HA is obliged to speak to your neighbour following your complaint. Well done for doing that. Whether they take action depends on whether that behaviour stops. HA's generally accommodate vulnerable people so it's not unusual to find a neighbour or two not managing well but if they knew it wasn't suitable for you, that should have been made known to your old HA. 
    Mine is very slow to deal with general repairs and maintenance but anti-social behaviour is different. 

Is the temporary accommodation better for you and can you make a request to stay there until all the repairs are complete, safe and satisfactory? I hope your old HA will liaise with them and do whatever is necessary to resolve this in the new year.

• Tubz
    Tubz Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. :)
    I am definitely much happier in the temporary accommodation, and I have requested to stay here until the flat is sorted properly. I rang my HA this morning and asked that my housing officer ring me to arrange a meeting. I want to look into the possibility of them insulating the flat better, as, although it's only 6 years old, there are considerable draughts which eminate from all the windows, so these gaps must surely contribute to the noise levels?? I also want to insist that the upstairs flat has proper floor coverings including underlay put down, as judging by the alleged squalid state of it, I doubt that there are adequate, (if any!) floor coverings, which again are certainly not helping with the noise! 

Does anyone here have any experience of asking for extra insulation to be installed/windows to be changed etc? 

• Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,335 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Tubz
    Hi I hope you’re feeling well today. Sorry for the situation with the flat you moved into.Some people just don’t think off their neighbours and do as they please.
    I see you  are much happier in the temporary flat, could you not ask if your could stay there on a permanent basis instead off going back to the other flat as things could go back to the way they were.
    Just a suggestion and I really hope things can be sorted out for you.

Tske care 😊
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 969 Pioneering
    Options

Windows shouldn't be draughty after 6 years and should be checked again by the HA. 
    It's important to report all defects now in case the previous tenant didn't.

No idea if your neighbour can be compelled to put down carpet. Laminate can't be laid now is all I know. Cost may be a factor. Your neighbour is upset about something and I hope gets some help in the new year. 

We get used to new sounds and soft furnishings make all the difference. Noise travels up and down walls too. Best luck in your new home when it's ready  :)  

• Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 316 Pioneering
    Options
    I live in a council ground floor flat, hall, bedrooms and living room has to be carpeted in first floor + flats, laminate is prohibited, although my upstairs neighbour took 2 & 1/2 years to carpet stairs (I moved in 1 year after they did).

I also have relatives living in a HA bungalow where the windows are single glazed wooden framed... They have to be careful how hard condensation is wiped away!
    They've lived there many years and been complaining to HA for some time, due this upcoming year to be upgraded after works this year were cancelled. 

I had draught issues when I moved in 18 months ago, the silicone seal underneath the sill was entirely missing in places, so new silicone helped and although it's better I am now waiting for three blown windows to be replaced. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.