How to get new council property asap — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to get new council property asap

tbeg Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I live with my sister and 2 nephews one is confirmed with autism and one is being checked I am also being checked for it too we live in a first floor maisonette my nephew has non verbal autism he has no idea about danger he has escaped from property and run into road he even managed to run away and was collected by the police he does not understand stranger danger we moved in while my sister was still pregnant with the boys my sister and I deal with hoarding but we are trying to get better we need out of this property asap it's also deeply affecting my mental health I have considered ending my life


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,235 Disability Gamechanger
    Are your names down in the social housing list? 

    Are you currently living in privately rented or social housing property? How many bedrooms are there where you are now?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Sadly the waiting list for social housing are long and full of people who are in need urgently, there are I'm afraid no short cuts, would you be able to look at private rentals? With regards to your mental health have you spoken to your GP about help with this?

    @tbeg a warm welcome to scope 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

  • tbeg
    tbeg Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    We have filled in form and been provisionally accepted we are under social services everyone knows this property we live in which is council is not safe or suitable for us to live in especially my nephew I've been dealing with my mental health for a long time I'm on antidepressants but I know we can't live here much longer
  • patsygirl
    patsygirl Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Have you tried contacting your MP?  Mine helped me get a house with garden for children. Worth a try.
  • kiwicherry8
    kiwicherry8 Scope Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi! This is totally depending on where you live and being in the U.K - look on "Right Move Longhurst" or Midland Heart's web-site. Put 50+ miles on there to see if they have any homes near you or even where you would like to move to. As they are all over the place. If so, please register with them else you will not be able to bid. They put homes on both sites everyday so, keep an eye out and Midland Heart will have a date and time when to bid. They often don't put these homes on the Council lists and Midland Heart have their own rules. Doctors/Consultant letters and Occupational Therapist reports may help too. We moved last year and it took us around five years. Good Luck! :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.