Carers allowance and UC. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance and UC.

steve1571 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
edited December 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
My partner recently applied for carers allowance and it has been awarded. This was back dated from July and was paid at the start of december. I am in the lcwra group and she also receives carers element. It is a joint claim In my journal it said I was over paid from 17 of October to 16th of December £332. I've looked at my uc and my statement for this month says deductions of 

As this is an average of other benefits that you're continuing to claim

Carer's Allowance

Is this due to the over payment or will this be a monthly thing where 332 is deducted form my UC because she claims carers allowance.



  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Hello @steve1571. Carer's Allowance is classed as an overlapping benefit so is deducted pound for pound from a Universal Credit award. 
    So it will be deducted each month that she claims Carer's Allowance.
    Community Manager
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,119 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2023
    There's no financial gain to claiming Carers allowance and UC at the same time because it's just deducted in full from any UC entitlement. The only advantage is that carers allowance can be paid weekly and can help to budget a little better and your partner will also receive class 1 NI credits for CA but for UC it's only class 3.

    Carers allowance is a weekly benefit at £76.75 but UC is a monthly benefit. To work out the monthly amount you need to do the following.. £76.75 x 52 then divide by 12, which gives £332.58/month. This will be what's deducted from your UC each month going forward. Your partner will then receive the carers allowance as a separate payment.

    The overpayment you have from UC will need to be repaid back so they will reduce your UC further each month until it's repaid back. Or if your partner received a lump sum from carers allowance, they can pay it back in one payment, if they want to.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.