Wheelchair transfer advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair transfer advice

Options
r33ceh
r33ceh Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Good afternoon, I was hoping someone could help me with a query. I work with carers, who are struggling to transfer a person in/out of bed who is a wheelchair user. This person is able to lift her upper half, and transfer in/out of the wheelchair but has no strength in her legs, so carers are having to reposition lift her legs as the person transfers, which is causing difficulties. Does anyone know of any aids or techniques that could assist them? - thanks in advance

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 3
    Options
    Hi @r33ceh - & welcome to the community. It's a little difficult to advise, as I don't know what disability the person in question has, but I'm concerned that their carers may not have learnt how to successfully & safely transfer a patient. I may be getting it wrong, but it's more about how this is done, also ensuring the carers don't hurt themselves in the process, & working with the upper body strength that the person has.
    When I first qualified as a physio, I worked for several months in the regional spinal injuries unit. If safe transfers can be done with paraplegics, who obviously have paralysis in their lower limbs, then it can work for anyone. Transfer boards have their place, but with a safe technique for all initially, then those I worked with found how to do this themselves.
    With apologies if this isn't appropriate, but these 2 links come closest in encapsulating what I'd like to convey: https://www.myshepherdconnection.org/sci/transfers/sliding-board
    Some transfer boards here: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/bedroom-aids/lifts-hoists/transfer-boards  I'd suggest only a short transfer board is needed from wheelchair to bed, & vice versa. Once the person is on the bed, then by locking their hands under one knee at a time, or, depending on their disability, in front of each knee, then they should be able to reposition their legs comfortably; this shouldn't be done whilst the person is transferring, nor should their legs be lifted during a transfer by their carers.
    Hope this helps, but please come back with any questions.
  • r33ceh
    r33ceh Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your response. A slide board is already in use, and the person can use this to shuffle across. The difficulty is the legs are left behind as they cannot move them, and can not put weight through them as shown in the youtube clip. Carers support the legs as she transfers as she cannot lift them herself, and although their postures are good. (knees bent back relaxed etc) some are still finding it difficult. I hoped for a device to remove as much bending by carers as possible such as the "bed sliding strap". So if you have any other suggestions for similar devices, let me know. thanks
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry, but I can only reiterate that her carers should not be supporting her legs as she transfers from wheelchair to bed, this should be done when safely upon the bed.
    Might you say what disability they have?
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would imagine the slide board would be more for someone who can use their legs feet to shuffle over on the board.  I can't see how a stand aid would be useful for that transfer either, if the person can't weight bare, like a rotunda transfer or stand lift. I would of thought a  full hoist transfer might be ideal with the person and staff. 

• JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    Options
    You can get wheelchair transfer turntables, it sounds like one would help this person, at least worth a try.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @r33ceh I unfortunately have nothing to add that would be helpful, but I just wanted to say hi and welcome you to the community. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.