Hi, my name is InMySights! Husband has cancer, I need to know his position and rights at work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is InMySights! Husband has cancer, I need to know his position and rights at work

Options
InMySights
InMySights Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited January 5 in Work and employment
My husband has cancer and I need to fully understand his position and rights at work. 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey there @InMySights and welcome to the community. :)

I'm sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis. Are there any things you specifically need to know about? I'm no expert with these things, so I'm going to pop your post into a different category and rename your post, so more people in the know will be able to see it and offer advice.  I hope that's ok? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • InMySights
    Options
    Hi Albus, 
    I hope I’m responding in the right place! Thank you for your response to my post. My husband is a headteacher at a private school and has been off work since May. He is undergoing treatment after having September and October written off by so severe reaction to his chemotherapy, but they were concerned about his survival. We moved care to the private sector as he has insurance. He was refused a phased return by his employers and is now on half pay. He has been signed back as fit to work full time by his consultant but his employers are still baulking at his return even now. He has to have a meeting with him next week to ‘establish his motivation for returning to work while still being treated’. Can they do this?
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    You are indeed responding in the right place. :)

That sounds like quite the grueling time for your husband, but I'm glad he's been classed as fit for work now. That cant have been easy for either of you.

As far as his employers denying him full time work, has he spoken to occupational health regarding this? That's often a good first port of call. Or possibly have a look on the ACAS website?
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • InMySights
    Options
    He has spoken to his union, but that was some time ago. Knowing him he will be waiting to see exactly what they have to say next week before he decides what to do next. He did mention occupational health at one point, but I don’t think he’s spoken to them. I will suggest it. I don’t think his employers (and mine) have behaved very well and it angers me after 15 years of impeccable service. His staff and parents are desperate for him to come back so he has a lot of support there, but at the end of the day that probably doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. He has had a hard time. and it’s not over yet, but to have some normality back in his life would be such a boost. We live onsite so that makes things more complex. Thanks for your input Albus 😊

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.