Up for redundancy can I refuse to go for one of the new roles

Kittyc
Kittyc Community member Posts: 59 Contributor
edited January 6 in Work
 I've been told that my team is being reduced.  The consultation starts end of January, so I am unsure how many roles there will be.   I'm deaf, suffering Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and had depression in the past.  I now work part-time and had to have time off sick last year. 

I'm under the ME clinic and also got pre-diabetes.   Can I just ask for redundancy due to ill health or do I have to jump through the hoops and apply for a job.  I am good at my job but I can't go back to full-time working due to ill health.  What are my options?  

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,906 Championing
    @Kittyc I'm afraid with the work side, you'll have to read your company's handbook or reach out the HR about their redundancy policy. With the team being reduced, they may be able to offer you a part time role? or you could see if there is a position in another department if you wanted to stay part time with them?
  • Kittyc
    @Hannah_Scope thanks for the reply.  Not sure there will be many roles left as there is a large number of redundancies being done - over 300 posts.  My ME is really bad now due to the stress.   Going for a part time role would just mean that I would have to go for another round of redundancy, when they cut jobs again.  I have so many reasonable adjustments to do the job as well.  Is work worth making yourself more sick?

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 686 Championing
    @Kittyc

Ensure you are well-versed in the criteria for selection and the procedures associated with the redundancy process. Discuss your health condition with your healthcare team, including your ME clinic, to gain their perspective on your current situation and any recommendations they may have regarding your work. 

Submit any relevant medical documentation that supports your need for adjustments. Waiting until the redundancy process is underway could limit your options. Proactively engaging with your employer allows for collaboration in finding solutions that accommodate your health condition while aligning with the organisation's needs. 

I considered the possibility of opting for ill health retirement but ultimately decided against it due to financial considerations. Instead, I entered into negotiations for revised working hours, reducing my weekly commitment to 30 hours. Commencing this week and continuing until spring, I have again successfully negotiated a transition to a four-day work week while maintaining my current salary. While I would have pursued ill health retirement if my financial situation had allowed, you may find yourself in a more favourable position to take that route. I extend my best wishes for whatever decision you make.

• Kittyc
    Thank you that is brilliant help x