Moving County and mum moving in — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving County and mum moving in

mistyrose6 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 8 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi. I hope this is the correct place to post this.
I'm disabled on pip high rate, uc and lcwra. Currently my rent is covered in full.
I'm looking to move to yorkshire from Norfolk to a 3 bed property which is a housing association multi swap.
My mum is going to give up her bungalow and move in with me and my 11 year old son.
I'm worried how this will affect our benefits as mum gets housing benifit, no tax to pay and is on pension credit and normal pension. 
Any advice appreciated. 
Thank you 


  • mistyrose6
    mistyrose6 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Forgot to say mum won't be a tenant, I'm the only one on tenancy agreement 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,243 Disability Gamechanger
    As it's social housing then your rent will be covered in full because there will be no spare bedrooms. Once you move house you will need to report the changes for UC. You also need to make sure you claim council tax reduction because that's not part of UC.

    Your mum's housing benefit will stop and she will also need to report the changes to her local Authority once she moves house.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.