Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

PIP REVIEW TEXT ON XMAS MORNING

Options
monkeymum
monkeymum Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 9 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi 

at 8.20am on Christmas morning I received this ….. ruined my Xmas morning ( been in a downward spiral since ) and my award is until Aug 2024 so can’t understand why they sent it 8 months early 

Can I do anything about this ! 
I’ve 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,094 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, those texts messages are automatically generated and you weren't the only person to receive the same text on Christmas Day. Not the best timing, i agree.

It's perfectly normal to be sent a review form about 8 months before your award is due to end. My PIP award ends in June and i received that text at the end of Oct. 

Is there anything you can do? I'm afraid not, you will need to make sure you fill out the form and return it back to them. You can ring to ask for extra time and they will give you 2 more weeks. Please make sure you treat the form as a new claim, even if there's been no changes. Please do not just put no change and nothing else.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,147 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @monkeymum - & welcome to the community. It's unfortunate that you received this text on Christmas Day itself, tho it does seem people are being notified about their review about 8 months beforehand. It seems the DWP are hoping to make decisions in good time before a current award is due to end. Expect your review form therefore shortly.
    Please complete this as you hopefully did your initial claim form, giving as much detail as possible. Even if there's been no change, whilst you can say this, please say I still have problems with each applicable activity/descriptor. This is best illustrated by giving a couple of recent examples as to the difficulty you face, i.e. when did it happen, where, what happened, did anyone see this, & were there any consequences to attempting/doing an activity such as pain/fatigue?

Say if you can do each applicable activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, to an acceptable standard, repeat as often as one would reasonably expect, or if it takes you much longer than someone without a disability.

This is worth reading through:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

• Nashota
    Nashota Community member Posts: 76 Courageous
    Options
    Ah yeah Poppy has mentioned a lot on here that it appears you receive the form/review 8 months prior, to be honest, it's a good job that they do,it took them almost 8 months to do my last review due to mess ups on Capita's part.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Some members are still waiting for a review decision a year after returning the forms.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,149 Pioneering
    Options

I don't think there's anything remotely normal about a 8.20am text on Christmas Day from DWP. Inexcusable and avoidable.  

• poppy123456
    Options
    I don't think anyone said it was normal to receive that text on Xmas day. What was said was it's normal for a review to start about 8 months before the award is due to end. The texts are automatically generated.
  • WhatThe
    Options

I didn't get any automatic texts on Christmas Day from my water company, bank, TV licence...

How difficult can it be for UC to programme notifications to avoid the most special public holiday in our calendar? 

• poppy123456
    Options
    I totally agree it's wrong and never suggested otherwise. Just so that you're aware it was PIP not UC.
  • WhatThe
    Options
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.