Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

PIP phone assessment on 17th Jan '24 - any advice?

Options
Jenwren
Jenwren Community member Posts: 9 Listener
So I've got my first ever PIP assessment on 17th - about a week away. I'm worried. Scared. I'm trying not to get too stressed - telling myself the worst they can do is say no.
Problem is I won't have anyone for moral support during the phone call and I'm worried they'll just think I'm fine and that I'm come across as not disabled 'enough' as I tend to over-prepare to attempt to keep anxiety at bey (it doesn't always work). I'm also worried because I'll have no broadband or landline when they ring - am switching providers and if my mobile signal goes, I'm sunk.

I've also heard some horror stories and all the weird and embarrassing questions they ask like about pets, how many steps it takes me to do x or y, about money etc. I just get panicked and loose my train of thought.

Can anyone give any advice for me? I know they can't predict the questions they ask and I know I have to have a copy of my application with my answers - but it sounds like they ask a lot of questions not covered on the form. I've also just recently been diagnosed with diabetes which I didn't put on the form because I only found out a couple of weeks ago. Will I get into trouble for that? Also I'm worried about them asking about my living situation (which I'm sure they will) as it's complicated by my step-dad's dementia -I'm not his carer (he has carers four times a day) but if there's a problem when carers aren't here, I'm forced to sort it because we unfortunately live together (not by my choice). I don't want them to think I'm his carer (and therefore can't be disabled).

Sorry I'm rambling. I'm just wondering if anyone has advice? My Internet's being cut off on 13th until 19th (when new broadband is installed) so I wanted to try to get some thoughts before then.

So, any advice or tips would be really appreciated!

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,147 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 10
    Options

- If you have kept a copy of your initial claim form, which you have, then read through it beforehand.

- Ideally you should have given 1 or 2 recent, detailed examples of the difficulty you face doing/attempting each applicable activity/descriptor that is looked at with PIP, i.e. when exactly did this occur, where, what exactly happened, why did you have difficulty, did anyone else see this, & were there any consequences to this, if applicable?

- have a look at the PIP descriptors in this link, reading the notes at the end. The word 'reliably,' which is so important, isn't mentioned as such, but it's if you can't do an activity safely, to an acceptable standard, if you can't repeat it as often as would normally be expected, or if it takes you longer than a person without your disability. If you can't do an activity 'reliably,' say so, explaining why. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/personal-independence-payment-descriptors-and-scores-april-2023.pdf

- see if there were any gaps where you didn't give those important detailed examples for each applicable PIP activities/descriptors in your initial claim form. Try to include these in your assessment if asked about any

- you may be asked questions, as you've mentioned, which you feel don't directly address the PIP descriptors, but they will, sometimes looking across a few, e.g. do you drive, do you have a pet?

- if you're unsure about any question, just ask for it to be repeated. Take your time in answering, & don't just answer yes or no.

- make sure your phone is fully charged.

If asked, I'd just say you live with your step-dad. There's no particular reason for an assessor to ask about his health, so I'd try not to worry about that one. However, there are plenty of people that successfully claim PIP & are also carers.

No, you won't get into trouble for not mentioning your diabetes; you couldn't anyway if you've only recently got this diagnosis.

Good luck

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.