Section 21, Rent arrears, Psoriatic Arthritis — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Section 21, Rent arrears, Psoriatic Arthritis

Options
535mum
535mum Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi, Hope you all are good. Thanks a ton for this community and discussion board. I will try my best top keep it short.
I have been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis two years ago and since then my health is getting worst. Worker whole life, I had to leave my job in march 2023. Tried methotrexate, sulfasalazine and then biologics and had to stop because of my nervous system getting effected, waiting to see neurology at the end of this month. I am receiving Universal credit, Lwcra, and pip standard rate for both. My tenancy contract is till 1 june 2024. MY daughter who doesn't live me helped with the rent till last November. I applied for discretionary housing, which got approved for only 8 weeks but still rent had shortfall. To pay that off that I borrowed money from friends and family. Son is my carer as well as working part time. Bless him does more than 35 hours of care. I couldn't pay rent this month in full so my rent is in arrears now. My landlord will be serving me eviction notice 21 soon because of rent arrears. I have no money for deposit or private renting. I will inform my council about eviction notice as soon as I receive it. I want to know will council rehouse me or help me in any way and how to go about it. I don't want to go to court or wait till bailiff kick me out because I have severe anxiety and depression and with my health issues I cannot deal with all this. I have nowhere to go as well. Please guide me. On shelter website I just read I don't have to wait for court orders or bailiffs. Can I move out after 8 weeks of eviction notice and go to council for help?
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can go to the council housing dept at any time but don't expect much help any time soon, there are huge waiting list and few properties available in most areas, hopefully someone will be along with some ideas for you, my advice for what it's worth would be to sit tight and at least wait until a section 21 notice is served.
    I wish you well.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You don't have to move out as soon as the S21 notice is served. If you do receive it then you'll need to first check that's it's valid. See link. https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/section_21_eviction/how_to_check_a_section_21_notice_is_valid

Landlords have to go through an eviction process first and this can take time. If you move out without anywhere else to live then your local Authority could say you made yourself intentionally homeless, even if you have a S21 notice.

You can also put your name down on the social housing list, that will be a start. 

You can also refer yourself for a needs assessment from your local Authority. See link. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/ there maybe some help out there such as moving to a more suitable property (assuming your current one no longer meets your needs) This could move you up the banding for social housing.

I agree with woodbine it may not be a very quick process to find a home with social housing. Even more so if you're a single person. It really depends on your situation and what band you're placed into.

You can look for another private landlord but the rents will highly likely be just as high with another shortfall. Then you need to find a landlord that will accept you while claiming benefits for help with the rent and that's not easy. Your local Authority can help pay for rent in advance by applying for a DHP.

Lastly, apply for another DHP. They are only awarded for a short period of time before you need to reapply.

I hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.