Newbie Needing Nibs! ✍️ — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Newbie Needing Nibs! ✍️

Options
ShonaM72
ShonaM72 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
edited January 11 in Start here and say hello!
Hi all, I hope this finds you all rested & back to normal after the holiday season 😊
I have just joined but I see my reputation precedes me! 🫣😂 
I started a petition before Christmas to raise the DWP £10 Christmas bonus as it has been the same since .. wait for it .. 1972!!! 😳 Wow! Over half a century! 😲
We surpassed 10k signatures today so I’m just over the moon! 👏😆🤩
I’m not sure if I’m allowed to attach the link so if you just google me/£10 Christmas bonus, it'll be there 😉🙏
I look forward to hopefully catching up with some of you as time goes by. ☺️😄
All the best,
Shona 🫶 x

Comments

• Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 14,513 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome once again x
  • ShonaM72
    Options
    Thanks Ada 😄 xx
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,697 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 11
    Options
    Welcome

It's nice that someone else realises this and also that 10,000 others do as well although in the grand scheme of things that's not really many, without meaning to pour sand on your fire.

I mentioned several times that the £10 in todays money would be between approx £110 and £300 depending on which inflation figures one used but no one seemed bothered so I assumed the consensus was that people thought it should stay at £10.

£10 in the early 70s was quite a substantial amount; my Grandmother used to buy all her Christmas gifts with her Christmas bonus. :blush:

All that said I do think it's nice they give a bonus at all and I appreciate the £10. :blush:

Good luck :) 
  • ShonaM72
    Options
    Morning Mustang 👋 I know what you’re saying that 10k isn’t much in the grander scale of things but it’s a start & it’s highlighted just how shocking it is at the end of the day, so in that regard I’m happy! 😆 lol .. it is getting the word out as I don’t have a big social media circle but things may change this year with the GE, whenever it’s going to be! 🙄
    I was trying to send you my interview with the BBC but it’s not letting me send a video on here so have attached the web story. ☺️ x

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    Welcome to the community @ShonaM72! Congratulations on getting so many signatures so far, I hope it continues :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • ShonaM72
    Options
    Thank you Rosie 🤩 Very kind of you, keeping fingers crossed! 🤞 😍 x
  • THE_DUDE
    THE_DUDE Community member Posts: 191 Pioneering
    Options
    Wow hasn't changed since 72. I'll sign it. Thanks for putting up this petition. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Best of luck with the petition and welcome back!

I just did some quick math and £10 in 1972 would be the equivalent of £162.72 at the end of 2023, taking into account inflation etc.  Pretty bonkers. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • ShonaM72
    Options
    Thanks THE_DUDE & Allbus 🩶 Yes Albus, you are right. The sum in the petition was only up until October ‘23 so to date it’s approx £163. 
    I had specified that on one of my updates. 😉
    S 🫶 x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.