The DWP checking bank accounts — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The DWP checking bank accounts

Options
Cplife
Cplife Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
Could someone please explain a little more about  the DWP been able to look at our accounts I tried reading up on it but I don’t really understand what it all means anyone’s advice would be appreciated thank you 😊

Comments

• TheManFromLondon
    TheManFromLondon Community member Posts: 268 Pioneering
    Options
    The test is: Is there anything for you to worry about?

i.e. UC may ask me for my bank statements, no matter how many months back, I have zero issue. For that, me personally, I have no problem them looking in my bank accounts one way or the other, as long as they have the power to do so.

And with that said, if they do have the power, its a law that allows them to do so, so there is nothing to challenge, unless... as said... there is something to worry about, which is entirely on you having an issue in the first place.

• Cplife
    Options
    @TheManFromLondon
    I have nothing to hide I was just trying to understand the reason for it  have a disability that makes if very difficult for me understand things  so I just wanted to understand it a bit more that’s all I was born with my disability and have had to fight for everything I receive. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,759 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What they are looking for are people who have savings in excess of the capital limits, people who have regular payments into their bank accounts where they are from and why, people who might be doing paid work and not declaring it, I have been asked a number of times over the years for bank statements and I have no issue with providing them .
    In short if you have nothing to hide you have nothing at all to worry about.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cplife
    Options
    @woodbine
    thank you so much for explaining it to me  I think I understand it a bit more now. 

I just didn’t understand what it meant because I know the DWP can access your bank account if they need to.  

I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me 😊

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.