Hi, my name is dee10!son who has Downs syndrome has had hours reduced. Can they do this? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is dee10!son who has Downs syndrome has had hours reduced. Can they do this?

Options
dee10
dee10 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi my 38 year old son who has Downs syndrome and has lived in supported living for the past 15 years has suddenly had his hours reduced by 11 per week without telling me or him staff are now struggling to support him in the reduced hours and his behaviour has really deteriorated 
can they do this I am distraught 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    HI @dee10 and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear about your sons hours being reduced.  I'll just move your post into a different category, so more people in the know will be able to see and offer support.  I hope that's ok?
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • surfygoose
    surfygoose Community member Posts: 437 Pioneering
    Options
    The local authority will always try to save money and cut hours whenever they can. They don’t see that the good level of support is the reason that the person is doing well. Fight, fight, fight, contact the local authority, his named social worker if he has one or duty social worker and argue his case. Get his care provider to fight alongside you. I have autism and live in residential care, I’m sorry you are going through this. I know it doesn’t help but it’s not personal. Me and all my friends go through this. The goal of local authorities is always to cut hours as much as possible even if in reality the person’s skills have not improved sufficiently for them to maintain the current good quality of life.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.