Help with housing costs and further evidence meeting — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with housing costs and further evidence meeting

Options
needhelp120
needhelp120 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
Hello, I really need some help right now. I am on UC with LCWRA and PIP. I have several mental health issues and my mum has always spoken to my work coach for me via the phone and I have never had a face to face meeting as I find interacting with others very difficult. All my commitments were turned off about three years ago and all my subsequent communication with UC has just been through the portal. Last month my rent went up and I reported this as a change of circumstance. I got a notification of my feedback of housing costs saying Verified PRS. I thought this meant that everything was fine as I hadn't heard anything else.

Today when I went on my claim I realised on my next payment statement it is still showing last months rent price. I put a message on my journal just asking why the new rent price wasn't updated in the statement. I also noticed I had a task asking if I need an extra bedroom because of my disability and I said no. 9 minutes later I received a message on my journal from an agent saying 'Further evidence booked, you have an appointment on etc.' It also says, you need to bring more evidence to support your claim but doesn't say what. At the same time I have another message from now a named person saying 'you still need to attend an appointment to verify your housing costs. When I click the appointment on my to-do list it says under extra information 'verify housing costs'. 

I am very stressed out and panicked. I don't understand what I did wrong and what more they could want. I've lived in the same place for almost 4 years and I uploaded my new tenancy agreement and a letter from the landlord himself saying that I live there and confirming how long I've lived there and how much the rent is, including his contact details. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Did I do something wrong messaging them, I wish I had never done it now. They haven't even said what more evidence to bring. Do I really have to go to this appointment? I have trouble going places and talking to people and have never been made to do so before and am getting PIP due to these problems. I feel very overwhelmed and I don't know what to do. 

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @needhelp120, I can't say for certain, but I don't think you've done anything wrong from what you've described. It sounds like you've told them what you needed to at the right time and provided the right evidence to back it up.

I can understand why you're feeling overwhelmed about it, it's not easy when these things crop up. Would your mum be able to give them a ring to see if they can clear things up for you?

I hope you can get things sorted soon :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If this is privately renting your housing element will be based on the local housing allowance for the area you live. If you live alone, you’re under 35 and your PIP includes the daily living part then you’ll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of LHA. 

If there’s a shortfall of rent you will need to pay that yourself. 

If 35 and over you’ll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate regardless of a PIP award. 

You can check the rates here https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

As for the extra evidence, I’m really not sure why they are asking for this if you’ve already given your new tenancy agreement. Put a message onto your journal and ask exactly what is needed. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    I would remind them that you are not able to do face to face meetings. The person who made the appointment might not have been aware of your difficulties. Your jobcoach should be able to help.
  • Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 316 Pioneering
    Options
    I would remind them that you are not able to do face to face meetings. The person who made the appointment might not have been aware of your difficulties. Your jobcoach should be able to help.
    People with LCWRA don't have a job coach, journal messages go to a service centre. 
  • bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    My son is on LCWRA and still has a job coach although he no longer has to see them. At least he seemed to think he did when I suggested he use his journal to get help with an issue with government gateway. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My son is on LCWRA and still has a job coach although he no longer has to see them. At least he seemed to think he did when I suggested he use his journal to get help with an issue with government gateway. 

If you ask for a work coach you can have one but you don't automatically have one when found to have LCWRA. If messages are put onto your journal, someone will reply eventually but it may take longer than someone who does have a work coach.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.