UC50 Timeline — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC50 Timeline

Becky1230 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

I’m looking for a little advice about my UC50 journey. 

I applied for UC50 in September 2023 (approximately) and received a UC50 form in December 2023. After filling it out, I printed off all 30 pages that I’d typed and sent it via special delivery before the deadline, which was 15th January 2024. 

I’m just wondering if anyone knows how long the process takes. I know it’s different for everyone but just an estimated time will be helpful. 

I suffer with extreme anxiety so now I’m second guessing everything I’ve written and I feel like I’m going insane. Stress is the main trigger that brings on seizures and so they’re happening more often which is becoming exhausting. 

I don’t even have a GP practice at the moment because I can’t go out to drop the new patient form (social anxiety is the worst). 

I unfortunately don’t get UC anymore because my fiancé and I have bought our first house together, thinking we were doing the right thing, only to feel like we’ve been penalised for doing so. Now with only one wage coming in from my fiancé, we’re struggling to pay bills which is also putting a strain on our relationship, constantly arguing about money. 

I should mention that my only income is PIP which goes to council tax and energy bills, practically the day after I receive the money. 

Sorry that’s a lot of writing but I needed to get it off my chest to people who understand. 

Thank you 🙏🏼 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,133 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately, i won't be able to give you a timescale on how long it will take for the assessment. Some wait weeks and others wait months. Most people have assessments so you should expect one of those.

    For your UC has your partner reported being a carer for you? Assuming your PIP includes the daily living part and no one else claims either carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you? If not and they care for you for at least 35 hours per week then they will be entitled to carers element, which will increase your maximum UC entitlement by £185.86/month.

    Unfortunately, when claiming UC with a partner then your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration. When you have a mortgage, there's no rent to be paid so no entitlement to housing element. There's Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) but this is a loan which needs to be repaid back if you sell your home in the future. https://www.gov.uk/support-for-mortgage-interest/eligibility

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    I sent off my form in December too well before the Jan 5th deadline but haven't heard anything either. I am really anxious about it too because I have to move because the property I am living in is being sold and I need more money to stand a chance of getting a private rental. The thought of ending up in temporary accommodation instead is putting my anxiety through the roof because I just don't ever go anywhere due to severe social anxiety. I am also waiting for a PIP decision.
    I would really like to have a better idea of when to expect to hear about this too.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.