Superfoods etc. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Superfoods etc.

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,925 Disability Gamechanger
Hopefully this topic is allowed, as it's not intended to be about medicines/medical advice.

Does anyone have any views or experience r.e. all these different edible products that are meant to be good for you?  There seems to be a lot of them that have come out in the last 5-10 years.

i.e.
"Super foods"
"Shot" drinks - often made from fruit juices + spices and other bits
Kefir

This isn't an exhaustive list.

Healthy or just a novelty waste of money?

Personally I buy kefir because I like the taste. I do have some minor gut issues and my doctor said it's good that I drink it, but I don't know whether or not it's really doing me any good.

When I had flu I also bought those immunity shot drinks with vitamins and other stuff in and again I really enjoyed them but don't know whether they did anything.

I also eat various so-called super foods but again only because I like them.

Comments

• sparklebright628
    sparklebright628 Community member Posts: 60 Connected
    Options
    Hi to all,

Yes i am into superfoods i luv eating them what i buy when i go shopping to help with weightloss ect.
    But dosnt seem to be working at the moment as i still need to loose weight cannot wait to get my trike back out when it is warmer weather.

Sparklebright628

• bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    There is lots of evidence that pre and probiotics are good for us. Unfortunately I have dairy allergies so kefir is out because the vegan version seems utterly disgusting to me while the dairy version causes inflammation and wheezing.
    The fermented foods like kimchi and sauerkraut are expensive and I don't find them appealing at all.

But I do eat lots and lots of fresh veg, many of which are prebiotics. 

Once those are in place I think what you don't eat is more important than what you do eat. I avoid all processed food and anything with sugar including fruit. Simply eating a piece of fruit sends my anxiety through the roof!! Blueberries although a superfood are no exception although I really like them.

I feel much much better when I stick to my restricted diet both physically and mentally. And after a few weeks cravings go away and I am no longer plagued by them. I slipped over Christmas and am feeling more pain, more cravings and less able to cope with life's difficulties.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    I like the quote that what you don't eat is more important than what you do.

That is interesting about fruit making you anxious, I have to say we avoid all processed food now but we do eat a lot of fruit, fortunately I don't have any problems with it!!
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    With me, if a food   is in a tablet form that make you feel good or helps with health benefit, then  i eat the product, like turmeric as taken off as being good for one thing or other. So I add it to my foods. I've always  added it to cooking curry's, but now add it to other foods.  Costs are low and you only use a bit. But like others I try to eat all things good in natural form.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Sandy_123 turmeric is what is in the shot drinks I had, I knew I had heard of it, I think they were orange juice, ginger, turmeric and cayenne.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes I know people who make their own drinks using ginger turmeric etc that they have daily.  Turmeric on its on in milk too but mix well.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.