PIP & LWCRA query — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP & LWCRA query

ilovecats19 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 20 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hey all, I’m currently stuck in what to do so I thought I’d ask here for some help. 

I currently get pip and have done so since 2021 when I was at my lowest ever. Citalopram never worked for me but I never said anything about to doctors as I was in active addiction and didn’t care for the help. Until august 23 when I knew I had to do something about my drinking issue.
I’ve been sober for 6 months now and this is all thanks to taking sertraline. These have been a tough 6 months fighting for my sobriety and using meds just to feel ok, but I am feeling better in my self and decided to start working 6 hours per week in a charity shop to start getting back to normal and gain confidence to work full time again. 

I get high daily living and standard mobility and this runs out in Oct 24. 
My questions is if I tell pip my circumstances have changed and I’m volunteering will they take my pip away even if there is little time left on it as I think they would class me volunteering as a COC I can now do a lot more than I could in the last few years.

Also will I have to tell lcwra about my voluntary job the same as pip? 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,133 Disability Gamechanger
    You do not need to tell PIP that you're working because it's not about your ability to work. If your health conditions have improved and you think you can no longer score enough points needed for your current award then you should report the changes. 

    Do remember though that PIP is about how your conditions affect you the majority of the days. You do not need to have difficulties all the time.

    If you report changes you will be sent more forms to fill in and return. However, as your PIP is due to end in Oct this year then you should expect to receive your forms about 8 months before, which would be about March 2024.

    LCWRA is part of UC. You will need to report the changes that you're working, even though it's voluntary. People do work when being found to have LCWRA but you do need to be careful that if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming LCWRA then it could go against you at your next review.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,081 Scope online community team
    Hey there @ilovecats19 and welcome to the community. I hope you're doing ok today?

    I can see you've already had our question answered, but I wanted to stop in and say hello. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.