LHA joint tenants — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LHA joint tenants

Options
Barney18
Barney18 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
My landlady is selling the house I rent so I’m trying to work out how LHA works if I’m renting privately with my adult daughter as joint tenants. 

I’m on UC with LCWRA and my daughter is on UC with LCWRA and enhanced PIP for both. We don’t currently live together but she needs to move with me for support. 

Would UC split the rent 50/50 so my daughter would be entitled to the 1 bed rate and I’d be entitled to the shared room rate? When she lived at home, I got the 2 bed rate but i don’t know if that’s the same on a joint tenancy. I lost my PIP award last year and didn’t get to appeal as my mum got cancer and then passed away so I had too much else going on so I think I’m only eligible for shared rate. 

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, you would each be liable for 50% of the rent. As your daughter claims daily living PIP she would be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of LHA. 

Assuming you're 35 and over then you would also be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate. Shared rate only applies to those that are under 35 without a PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care award.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.