Shared Ownership, Universal Credit and Divorce — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Shared Ownership, Universal Credit and Divorce

Mumof2boys Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi All,
I am going through a divorce, which will be finalised in the next couple of months.
My STBXH moved out of the family home of 11 years back in July 2023.
The family home is a shared ownership property that we own 50% of. I say "we". However, at the time of getting the property in 2012, I was not able to be on the mortgage due to my credit history. So, the mortgage part and tenancy are solely in his name.
When we got the house the deposit of £20,000 was from my dad as part of my inheritance, but because I wasn't actually allowed to be on the deeds to the house, it was made to look like the money was from his dad (this was between STBXH and the mortgage advisor at the time). 

I am now receiving UC, working 25 hours a week and bringing the children up both under 16. I live in the house with them, pay the mortgage and the bills as normal. STBXH pays the rent side and council tax as normal.

STBXH is selling the house. I agreed as i know im still in no position to access a Mortgage. He started the process in August 2023, the house has had a valuation and now everything has slowed right down.

My concerns are
- Am I making myself and children intentionally homeless by not registering my rights to the home and agreeing to the sale?
- I'll be due half on the sale of the house. Which because is a 50% ownership would be 25% which is looking likely to be £25K. Am I able to request my inheritance out of the sale of the property? If it wasn't for my inheritance there would of been no house, but it was made to look like it was from his dad? Surely this is wrong? And illegal?
- Can I put some of the money into a trust fund for my children without it affecting my UC?
- I have a lot of debt to pay off so would also be looking to clear all of this with the money too.
- Housing? Can I use 16K to pay for a year's rent whilst I sort myself out? Would that affect UC

This money from the sale of the house will be enough to do these things and give myself and boys a fresh start. But it's not going to last for ever. 
I have already informed UC that the house is being sold and they have just asked me to keep them updated which I do.

Is there anyone who would be able to help me in my concerns?

Thank you in advance ☺️ 


  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 2,883 Scope online community team
    Heya @Mumof2boys and welcome to the community. :) 

    I'm afraid I can't answer your questions, but I'm going to pop your post into a relevant category, so more people in the know will be able to see and hopefully offer you some top support. I hope that's ok?

    I've found this link from Citizens Advice, which hopefully may answer some of your questions in the mean time? 
    Albus (he/him)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,192 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't think you're making yourself intentionally homeless because if you don't have the funds to buy your ex out then you have no other option other than what you're doing now.

    I can't advise about your inheritance, though i'm very shocked when you said it was made to look like it was from his dad. When my daughter and son in law got their first mortgage a couple of years ago i gifted them a small amount and i had to write a letter to the mortgage company to say it was a gift. I also had to give a bank statement to prove where the funds came from.

    Once the money from the sale of the house goes into your bank then you will need to report the changes to UC. You're allowed to pay off debt when claiming UC without it affecting your benefits. When claiming UC what counts is your circumstances on the last day of each assessment period. If at that time you have more than £16,000 then your UC will end.

    You can put money into a trust for your children but you'll still be treated as having that money and it will still be counted as savings. Giving money away like this will be treated as deprivation of capital.

    I'm not 100% sure about using £16,000 to pay a years rent and whether that will affect your UC but it may do. I'd advise you to get some expert advice from an agency near you for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,287 Disability Gamechanger
    You need proper legal advice for these issues non of us here are solicitors, sorry
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.