Hi, my name is SANDRA65! asking for any tips/advice about ataxia — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is SANDRA65! asking for any tips/advice about ataxia

Options
SANDRA65
SANDRA65 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hello,just asking for any tips/advice about ataxia  always had it but did nt know much about it till i was about 38, thanks

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @SANDRA65 and welcome to the community. :)

Ataxia isn't something I know much about, so I'm just going to move your post to another category, so more people in the know will be able to see it and hopefully offer you a tonne of support. I hope that's ok?

If you wanted to take your mind off things, have a chat, or play some games, I recommend our Coffee Lounge and Games room
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • UKNightWatch
    UKNightWatch Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi! I'm a guy, just turned 55, and I have been aware of my ataxia for about 15 years now. I also have Fibromyalgia. It seems I'm doubly blessed!

My ataxia is largely undiagnosed. This does not mean it does not exist! It's more on the lines of the tests I have been through [many] have not shown an exact cause. I do have gait ataxia, which severely affects my balance and coordination. The word 'ataxia' breaks down to 'a' = 'without' and 'taxia' [or 'taxis'] = 'coordination'. Scans around about 15 years ago indicated that there are some anomalies in my brain that may be TIAs - A transient ischaemic attack (TIA) or "mini stroke". This lines up to why I was being seen by doctors in the first place, as I was experiencing unexplained falls / loss of consciousness! My doctors have told me that, like my father, I likely have cerebellar ataxia, though they still have me 'under observation'.

I could go on about ataxia and how it has changed so many things in my life! For now, though, I just want to share some things;

1; Know that you are not alone - there are many resources only where people will offer support and advice
    2; Talk to everyone who'll listen - your family and friends may react better if they know that you are having problems and the medical community including your GP / doctor and others [neurological team maybe] can be a great help
    3; Do not be disheartened if doctors etc. say things like 'there is no magic cure' or 'there is little to do to help' - they will help as much as they can
    4; Try to stay positive as negativity is not good for us
    5; Adapt as best you can! Ataxia is not usually life-threatening, but can very much be life changing. Without being silly about it - do as best you can

Sincerest kind regards.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.