LCW in review — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCW in review

Options
AndyH64
AndyH64 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
I sent my form to the health assessment 2 weeks ago. I have had LCW since 2019 and manage
to earn around 4k per year working predominantly between March and September, the warmer half of the year when my arthritis and neuropathic issues are less debilitating. I believe UC are satisfied I am doing my best in difficult circumstances. A message I put in my journal last September saying I was finding it more difficult during 2023 has been taken as me reporting a change which is fair enough. I was awarded on going PIP in 2021 by the way so as I say UC are well aware of my problems. I will turn 60 this year and I am finding it harder than ever. The main difference in this form all revolves around the first question where I have made it clear that repeatedly moving 50 metres is now a major problem. I believe my overall condition now warrants me being moved to LCWRA. If I get that outcome it would take pressure of me feelI have no choice but to carry on struggling to work. I would like to continue for the mental lift I get but physically I have serious doubts I can manage it anymore. My mind is in turmoil right now. I had hip replacements 7 years ago and a spinal cord stimulator implanted 5 years ago. My left replacement is good but my right hip, groin and knee are a never ending issue but have never felt worse. Going to the doctors is generally a waste of time as they clearly don't know what else they can do. I go to hydrotherapy but now even that no longer helps. Any thoughts or advice on any of what I have written would be appreciated as I literally don't know where to turn anymore.

AndyH64 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For the mobilising descriptor for LCWRA are you aware it also takes into consideration your ability to use a self propel wheelchair. It's not just about your ability to walk. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/limited-capability-for-work-related-activity

Have you been referred for another work capability assessment? Have you been providing fit notes?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • AndyH64
    Options
    UC told me categorically they do not require me to provide fit notes. I got help with the form and the health assessment have had it since it Jan 10th so I am just awaiting a f2f I guess. If I have misunderstood Q1 then it's likely I won't get moved from LCW it seems? I use a walking stick all the time these days. I will have to continue to struggle working I guess. Seems unfair but nothing surprises me anymore. I do everything I can to keep going and avoid using a mobility scooter or wheelchair. It almost seems I could be better off giving in to such a prospect sooner rather than later. In LCW I don't have to work but I can't really afford not to. Seems I can't win and my only option is to keep going until I completely break down. Crazy!!
    Regards 

AndyH64 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I can only tell you the rules. Fit notes are usually needed when you report changes to your health condition.

I haven't said you won't be entitled to LCWRA. Your ability to propel a wheelchair is part of the mobilising descriptor, even if you don't use a wheelchair. 

All you can do is wait for the decision to be made but usually an assessment is needed first. If you need one then you will be contacted. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • AndyH64
    Options
    Hi Poppy,
    I appreciate your responses and have read the link. It seems from googling (is that even a word) this first  moving around question is a question that has been historically problematic. In my up to date UC50 form it says 'By moving we mean including the use of aids YOU USUALLY USE such as a manual wheelchair,  crutches or a walking stick but without the help of another person'. So in my case I USUALLY USE a stick. Maybe this problematic question has been updated. In stating aids you usually use it is not telling me I could try a manual wheelchair so I have answered the question correctly I believe.

• poppy123456
    Options
    It's not "moving around" for LCWRA it's mobilising, which is completely different. You've also missed some vital wording out too.

For this descriptor the following applies.... mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such an aid is normally used, or could reasonably be used

Please have another closer read of the link I posted above. The wheelchair is taken into consideration, whether you use it or not, which is what "could reasonably be used" means. 

It hasn't been updated and the descriptors have remained the same since ESA was introduced. 
  • AndyH64
    Options
    Hi Poppy,
    I spoke with the person who helped me with the UC50 (welfare rights employee) and knowing my conditions, she doesn't feel a manual wheelchair would be a reasonable option for me so I am still happy with the answer I gave. The fact of the matter is, I don't have one and have never used one so in reality the only way anyone could determine the answer with regards to me would be for me to try it out. I don't know all the issues surrounding propelling a manual wheelchair but I would hazard a guess it could be problematic. I wouldn't want one at home, given we live on à hill and it's hilly all around us. It could be argued it could be left at work I suppose but that might reasonably beg the question how do you get too and from work. I totally take your point and I have read it again but I don't think its obvious I would benefit from using one.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It doesn’t matter whether you would benefit from it or not. The point I’m trying to make is that it’s part of the descriptor and they do take that into consideration. 

This is the same descriptor that I’ve always qualified for with the Support Group (LCWRA) and is always something I cover when filling out the forms. Due to my health conditions it’s impossible for me to self propel. 
  • AndyH64
    Options
    Hi Poppy,
    I appreciate that totally. It's been a difficult year for me and I am struggling to come to terms with deteriorating despite my best efforts. I have been to hydrotherapy this evening and something that used to clearly benefit me does absolutely nothing for me anymore which is so frustrating.  I am asking myself, is it right that I should struggle to a point where I just break down completely. If I can carry on working through Spring and Summer I would love to continue as I like what I do and I like my work colleagues, but
    I get home in pain and its tiring. I am in my 60th year and 67 feels like a very long way off. My spinal cord stimulator hasn't really worked for me for more than a year now so pain management @ the hospital are getting me back in to re programme it yet again, the pain nurse said likely in March. I am trying to be positive about that, but re programming didn't work in October so who knows. My right hip replacement and knee are constantly clicking and causing pain and it's all just built up and is what brought me back to this online community yesterday for the first time in a number of months.
    Like I said in that first post, I don't know where to turn.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.