Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Carers Allowance

Options
ponies
ponies Community member Posts: 119 Courageous
edited January 26 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi there, My Cousin receives Pip & her partner cares for her 35+ hours per week.
Can he claim Carers Allowance.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,322 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The PIP must include the daily living part. Are they claiming any other benefits at all, if so which ones exactly? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ponies
    Options
    My Cousin gets Pip Daily Living & also gets ESA (Support Group)
    Her Partner doesn’t get anything at the minute, as he is out of work.
    They don’t claim anything together! Although they live together.
    He has been caring for Her since Sept 2023 but hasn’t applied for Carers Allowance as yet
    thanks Poppy
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,825 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sounds like he should apply
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• ponies
    Options
    My Cousin has worked for the past 22yrs 30hours per week. She got finished on health grounds. She then went onto ESA think is Contribution based.
    Can her Partner still apply for Carers Allowance 35 hours+ per week.
    If so can it be backdated for 12weeks
  • ponies
    Options
    Thanks Woodbine
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If he was working and earning more than £139/week then it will not be backdated during that time. If he wasn’t working or earning more than that then it can be backdated for a maximum of 3 months.

Is it New style ESA she’s claiming? If she started her claim after end of December 2018 then it will be New style.

If it’s New style then they should also use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. They would need to claim as a couple and their joint circumstances will be taken into consideration. If they have capital of more than £16,000 they will be excluded from claiming. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator

As she’s in the Support Group then she will be enticed to the LCWRA element from the start of the claim. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ponies
    Options
    Yes New style ESA as it was 2023 when She received it.
    Her Partner is out of work at the minute & doesn't claim anything for himself.
    would it be worth them making a claim together & apply for Universal Credit as a couple.
    Thanks Poppy
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,825 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    ponies said:
    My Cousin has worked for the past 22yrs 30hours per week. She got finished on health grounds. She then went onto ESA think is Contribution based.
    Can her Partner still apply for Carers Allowance 35 hours+ per week.
    If so can it be backdated for 12weeks
    only if she gets PIP care
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    Options
    They need to use a benefits calculator as I advised previously. Her ESA will continue but be deducted in full from an UC entitlement. The carers allowance will also be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. 
  • ponies
    Options
    Thanks Poppy, I’ll pass your advice on to my Cousin.
    She can do a benefits calculation. 
  • ponies
    Options
    Hi, would contribution ESA my Cousin gets for herself (Support Group) be affected if someone claims Carers Allowance to care for her 35+hours per week.
    she also receives Pip daily living
    thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No it will not be affected. 
  • ponies
    Options
    She doesn’t get SDP as she doesn’t live alone
  • poppy123456
    Options
    She wouldn’t be entitled to SDP anyway even if she lived alone because it’s New style ESA she’s claiming and this is a contributions based benefit only. It’s not known as contributions based. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It would be much better if you could ask either of them to post here their self for advice. It’s always much easier than giving 3rd party advice. 
  • ponies
    Options
    Thanks Poppy.
    She will still get her ESA CB (Support group) in full.
    Her Pip Daily Allowance won’t be affected.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    ponies said:
    Thanks Poppy.
    She will still get her ESA CB (Support group) in full.
    Her Pip Daily Allowance won’t be affected.
    As I previously advised none of those will be affected! 
  • ponies
    Options
    Thanks so much Poppy
  • Talya
    Talya Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Hı Poppy I am a carer ı am receive pip . Can I apply Lcwra ? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    LCWRA is part of Universal Credit, are you currently claiming this? 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.