LCWRA deducting more than I receive for CA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA deducting more than I receive for CA?

Options
ConfusedG
ConfusedG Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello,

I would like to ask advice on my current situation.

I am on LCWRA and recently became a carer for my grandma so I applied for Carer's allowance.

On my newest statement of UC, the amount of CA removed is £332.58, despite the amount received being £307. That's a discrepancy of £25.58 a month which would be £306.96 a year. 

Is that normal?

Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,592 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 26
    Options
    The title of your thread doesn't reflect your question. LCWRA isn't a benefit on its own, it's part of Universal Credit.

It's perfectly normal. Carers allowance is a weekly benefit and UC is a monthly benefit. There's also 4.3 weeks in a month and not 4 weeks. If you receive carers allowance every 4 weeks then there will be 1 month a year where you will receive 2 payments.

To work out the monthly deduction for UC for the carers allowance you times the £76.75/week by 52 then divide by 12 which gives you £332.58/month. 

There's also no financial gain to claiming carer allowance as well as UC. As your UC also includes the LCWRA for yourself then you can't receive carers element at the same time.

Does your Grandma live alone?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ConfusedG
    edited January 27
    Options
    Thank you. I didn't know that, it makes sense now.

I am in Scotland and the system allows carers to get a supplement twice a year, that's why I was suggested by the charity to apply for it. My grandma used to live with my dad but he passed away last November. I am the only one who can take of her now and I don't want to see her in a care home. 
  • ConfusedG
    Options
    The title of your thread doesn't reflect your question. LCWRA isn't a benefit on its own, it's part of Universal Credit.

It's perfectly normal. Carers allowance is a weekly benefit and UC is a monthly benefit. There's also 4.3 weeks in a month and not 4 weeks. If you receive carers allowance every 4 weeks then there will be 1 month a year where you will receive 2 payments.

To work out the monthly deduction for UC for the carers allowance you times the £76.75/week by 52 then divide by 12 which gives you £332.58/month. 

There's also no financial gain to claiming carer allowance as well as UC. As your UC also includes the LCWRA for yourself then you can't receive carers element at the same time.

Does your Grandma live alone?
    Sorry, I am new in the forum. Yes LCWRA is part of universal credit, reading online I was confused because somewhere it says LCWRA takes something off the carer's allowance (sorry I am not 100% sure of how it works exactly) so I wanted to specify that's what I have on the UC. I only applied because the charity who helped me and my grandma after my dad's passing, said that was something that could be good for us especially with both not being able to work.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,592 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What you read online was someone who receives the LCWRA element can't receive carers element of UC at the same time. It doesn't apply to carers allowance.

If your grandma lives alone then should could be entitled to SDP as I mentioned above but with you claiming carers allowance for looking after her this would prevent that. Although you receive the carers supplement SDP is worth more than that.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.