Formal grievance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Formal grievance

Options
Bec301
Bec301 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello, following a cancer diagnosis in October 202, subsequent chemotherapy and surgeries I find my myself struggling to get back into work. I work in the NHS but have found that they are refusing to make any reasonable adjustments and I believe have been discriminating me due to my disability. Occupational health advised my line manager that I should work from home and said the Equality Act 2010 supports me. After a long and drawn out process they are terminating my contract of employment under the capability policy as I have been unable to return to work without the  adjustments (sorry TMI I have little bowel control) and mobility issues due to peripheral neuropathy. Has anyone gone down the route of a formal grievance? This has had such a detrimental effect on my mental health and I have been in a very dark place and at times I have questioned why I am still living. Not to mention the financial burden of not being able to work.

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,364 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Bec301, sorry you're having to go through so much with your work and that it's having such an impact  on your mental health. I'm afraid I don't have any experience of this myself, but I wanted to say hello and welcome you to the community. 

Have you sought any legal advice about it so far? Citizens Advice might be able to offer some help if you haven't been in touch already.

I'm sure our lovely members will be along shortly to offer some more solid advice and support :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey there @Bec301 and a warm welcome from me too.  I'm sorry to hear about your battle with work.

Leading on from what Rosie has suggested, it could be worth contacting ACAS as well, they're very good with work related disability issues. 
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Bec301
    Options
    Hello and thank you both. I have been in contact with ACAS and they were helpful and signposted me to EASS who said they felt discrimination took place and provided me with  templates of  the formal letters to send to my employer. I have  tried to avoid this route as it feels so stressful and anxiety provoking but I feel I have no choice. Perhaps standing up for myself will give me some control back in the situation but it feels daunting as this whole episode has completely stripped my confidence.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,364 Scope online community team
    Options
    Glad you've had some contact with ACAS and EASS @Bec301, that sounds positive. Do you have any friends or family that could help support you through the process should you go forward with it? I can understand why it must feel so daunting.

We're always here if you need to chat about things too if you need to :)
    Rosie (she/her)

• Bec301
    Options
    Glad you've had some contact with ACAS and EASS @Bec301, that sounds positive. Do you have any friends or family that could help support you through the process should you go forward with it? I can understand why it must feel so daunting.

We're always here if you need to chat about things too if you need to :)
    Thank you so much. Yes I have family support and I know they will support all my decision's. I think its the unknown and another battle I don't want to face that's so daunting. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,410 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi  @Bec301 good luck with going farward on this 
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 489 Pioneering
    Options
    @Bec301

I understand what you're going through. I have chronic cancer and have undergone chemotherapy, which can be mentally and physically exhausting. I thought I was returning to work in 2021 after a pre arranged month in hospital for intense chemotherapy.  When I was due to return to work shortly before I received an email from my employer, they were concerned about my return to a work place environment being good for my health, that is when I knew this was going to be a battle to keep my employment with them after giving them many decades of loyal service I was furious.

This happened only 18 months after my husband had passed away from a sudden brief illness. With my income now reduced to one, the last thing I needed was another decrease in income living off an early retirement pension. Instead of passively accepting their decision, I stood up for myself and fought back with everything I had. I outlined my own demands, reminding them of their supposed concern for my well-being. Eventually, I successfully negotiated myself a return to work with reduced hours keeping the same salary. 

If you haven't already, I recommend reaching out to Macmillan Cancer Support. They provide valuable resources and advice specifically tailored to employment matters following a cancer diagnosis. Based on my personal experience, I engaged in a couple of in-depth discussions with them. These conversations provided the sufficient insights required to construct my own case. I believe this could potentially be beneficial for you as well. 

Bec, I completely understand the dark place you're in right now. I've been there myself, and I know how overwhelming it can feel. But please believe me when I say that things will get better. It may take time and effort, but it is possible to find your way out of the darkness and into a brighter future. Hang in there, and don't give up!

• Bec301
    Options
    MW123 said:
    @Bec301

I understand what you're going through. I have chronic cancer and have undergone chemotherapy, which can be mentally and physically exhausting. I thought I was returning to work in 2021 after a pre arranged month in hospital for intense chemotherapy.  When I was due to return to work shortly before I received an email from my employer, they were concerned about my return to a work place environment being good for my health, that is when I knew this was going to be a battle to keep my employment with them after giving them many decades of loyal service I was furious.

This happened only 18 months after my husband had passed away from a sudden brief illness. With my income now reduced to one, the last thing I needed was another decrease in income living off an early retirement pension. Instead of passively accepting their decision, I stood up for myself and fought back with everything I had. I outlined my own demands, reminding them of their supposed concern for my well-being. Eventually, I successfully negotiated myself a return to work with reduced hours keeping the same salary. 

If you haven't already, I recommend reaching out to Macmillan Cancer Support. They provide valuable resources and advice specifically tailored to employment matters following a cancer diagnosis. Based on my personal experience, I engaged in a couple of in-depth discussions with them. These conversations provided the sufficient insights required to construct my own case. I believe this could potentially be beneficial for you as well. 

Bec, I completely understand the dark place you're in right now. I've been there myself, and I know how overwhelming it can feel. But please believe me when I say that things will get better. It may take time and effort, but it is possible to find your way out of the darkness and into a brighter future. Hang in there, and don't give up!

Thank you so much for your response. I hope that you are doing well. I have spoken with Macmillan cancer support and have found them really helpful. Unfortunately, I think we have gone past negotiations. I really appreciate your words of support they give me hope that there will be brighter days X  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.