Council exchange Bungalow — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council exchange Bungalow

Vicky12uk Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone. 

I have fibromyalgia and I've got arthritis in both knees. I've had a few falls and it's really affected my mental health massively. I made the decision to apply for an exchange because of the stairs and my house is too big. There is a lady who wants my house and I want her bungalow. She wants to live with her son and have a garden. I was having OT come out and adapt some things. I'm 49 years old. Also my partner lives with me and he was diagnosed with ME. Im hoping the council will approve the exchange. I am getting a medical letter from my doctor, do I put a supporting letter with it?

Many thanks for reading. 

Blessings 🙏


  • Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 2,705 Scope online community team
    Hi @Vicky12uk, welcome to our community :) I'm glad you've found someone to exchange with. Are you both in council houses? The official term for this is 'mutual exchange', how this works can differ depending on your Local Authority so it is often best to check their website for information about their mutual exchange application process. Your local Citizen's Advice can also help provide information on it.
    They/Them, however they are no wrong pronouns with me so whatever you feel most comfortable with
    Online Community Specialist

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us. 
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions are my own, such as mashed potato being bad.
  • Vicky12uk
    Vicky12uk Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you Jimm

    Yes it's a mutual exchange. I am in housing association and she is in council. It's fine to exchange with other local authorities. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    Thank you for replying to me Jimm, really appreciate it 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,298 Disability Gamechanger
    The only thing that may stop the exchange is your age. Some housing associations have a minimum age limit for a bungalow. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 964 Pioneering

    She won't be allowed to under-occupy and adaptations would need to be appropriate for them.   


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.