How do you travel? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you travel?

Options
Losingallhope
Losingallhope Community member Posts: 36 Connected
So I've heard that pip ask you how you get about to appointments & other places. I've often wondered how this affects their decision because everyone has to travel even if they find it difficult due to their health issues. Another thing is if you tell them you drive I've heard it can go against you even thought they offer mobilty cars.
I'm up for review soon & have just sent my form back, I've had extensive help via two charities completing the form but I'm concerned what I tell them on how I travel to appointments, I usually get about by my fully electric bicycle which I refer to as my mobility bike because I can't physically ride a non powered bike anymore, I'm worried if I tell them this they might say if I'm well enough to ride a bike I don't have mobility issues which couldn't be further from the truth I also drive but now limit this to the absolute minimum I'm talking twice a month at the most any advice greatly appreciated 

Comments

• Alan0913
    Alan0913 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    I have a permanent limp. I have lost movement in my right ankle, riding a bike occasionally, helps with movement. Riding a cycle Nissan a no impact sport. I was in hospital for two weeks, extensive physio. I used to use the static cycle. I do not see any problems riding a electric bike. I told my pip assessor I ride my bike occasionally, as I believe in my own mind it helps with movement in my ankle. I am still awaiting my pip outcome. Coming upto the 5th week. I was telling the truth. I have lost 4 fingers forward movement, and a bit left and right on a good day. I have been told my ankle has stopped working, and may need a fusion on my ankle. I think a electric bike maybe the future for me. In my view cycling is a non impact sport. You have to be able to get about. Good luck with your review. 
  • Losingallhope
    Losingallhope Community member Posts: 36 Connected
    Options
    Alan0913 said:
    I have a permanent limp. I have lost movement in my right ankle, riding a bike occasionally, helps with movement. Riding a cycle Nissan a no impact sport. I was in hospital for two weeks, extensive physio. I used to use the static cycle. I do not see any problems riding a electric bike. I told my pip assessor I ride my bike occasionally, as I believe in my own mind it helps with movement in my ankle. I am still awaiting my pip outcome. Coming upto the 5th week. I was telling the truth. I have lost 4 fingers forward movement, and a bit left and right on a good day. I have been told my ankle has stopped working, and may need a fusion on my ankle. I think a electric bike maybe the future for me. In my view cycling is a non impact sport. You have to be able to get about. Good luck with your review. 
    Thanks for that, my health issues are different I suffer with chronic fatigue syndrome due to cancer & a brain tumour I'm scared if I tell them I'm riding a bike they will deem me fit even though 90% of the time I can't even leave my home 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.