Underlying entitlement — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Underlying entitlement

Options
toll
toll Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi I'm 74 in receipt of my pension and work 2 days this I hope to leave in the next month I know I would not be entitled to care allowance but would have an underlying entitlement 
My son is the disabled person on pip and esa he gets a severe disability premium would this be affected by my underlying entitlement people at esa have told him that sdp would stop as its paid to allow him to pay someone if he has anything he wants doing and as soon has he has a carer this stops regardless if care allowance is paid or underlying entitlement 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,824 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If your state pension is more than the carers allowance then yes you will have an underlying entitlement to it. This will not affect your son's SDP. See link. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium
    no-one gets paid Carer's Allowance (CA), Carer Support Payment (CSP) or the carer element of Universal Credit for looking after you (if your carer is eligible for CA or CSP but does not receive a payment due to overlapping benefit rules then they do not count)

The underlying entitlement means there maybe some entitlement to Pension Credit because the carers premium will be included with the calculation. Whether there's any entitlement to PC will depend on your circumstances. 

Were you given this advice by someone you spoke to on the phone after ringing ESA? If so then they are call centre staff who very often have very little benefits knowledge. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • toll
    Options
    Thank you yes he was told this by dwp esa department I am going to claim pension credit if I get this would it affect his sdp 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    To have the underlying entitlement to carers allowance, you need to claim it first, otherwise you won't have the underlying entitlement. You will then receive a letter saying you can't be paid it because your state pension is more than the carers allowance. You will then have the underlying entitlement.
    https://www.independentage.org/get-advice/advice-guides-factsheets-leaflets/underlying-entitlement-to-carers-allowance

Have you checked to see if there's any entitlement to Pension credit before you claim carers allowance? You can use this calculator here, fill it out as if you have an underlying entitlement to carers allowance. pension-credit-calculator
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • toll
    Options
    Thank you I have checked to se if I could get pension credit with and without the underlying entitlement  and I would be it gives extra amount with the underlying would this affect my sons sdp 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The underlying entitlement will not affect his SDP. Please see the link I posted above. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.