Housing adaptions — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing adaptions

Options
rayrar80
rayrar80 Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
My son is 22 and has severe Autism and tourettes, we moved into this property 2 years ago as my son  needed his own bedroom and it had a disabled walk in shower that accomodated the previous tennant, and there is no bathtub, my son is petrified of the shower and having meltdowns an screaming when the shower head is put near him and i have explained this to my housing association and they refuse to help, is there anything i can do as it is becoming unbearable and i really don't want to move home.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,570 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can refer him for a care needs assessment from your local authority. Whether they would agree to install a bath rather than the shower, I really don't know. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 987 Pioneering
    Options

In the short term - while you negotiate alterations - could you try removing the shower head and using a gentle stream of water away from his face? 

If there's room for a small paddling pool it can make the shower experience more fun and less stressful.  

• WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 987 Pioneering
    Options

ps it could be the noise upsetting your son - showers can be very loud!  
  • surfygoose
    surfygoose Community member Posts: 437 Pioneering
    Options
    Some people with wet rooms use a portable bath such as like these sold on Amazon. Not recommending this one specifically, just an example. It can fold away to save space or leave it up if it’s all you are going to use. You can fill it up from the shower.

https://amzn.eu/d/brjN6se
  • scotiaC
    scotiaC Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Defo in the short term a foldable bath tub, it's not ideal, but could help short term, I'm in scotland, and usually councils or housing associations don't tend to install baths if there's a shower been fitted, especially if it's made for a shower, if it was an older property thay had a bath and they've changed it for a shower, they don't put a bath back in, never, it costs them between £5k and £8k to do it, (God knows where they get there pricing from),  I use to work maintenance for a housing assoc.
    I really hope u get it sorted quickly, best thing really to do, is make a lot of noise, complain, etc, look up ur local MP, they hold clinics, they are there to fight on your behalf. It puts weight behind your request!, 
    Ive noticed the louder ppl moan,and complain, the more they get, its not my style,  but its how others get it.
    Hope this helps.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.