Neighbour needs help with her son's PIP - where can she go? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Neighbour needs help with her son's PIP - where can she go?

PIP_4 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited February 7 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Seeking Advice -PIP:
Neighbour of nearly 45 years asked my advice on her disabled son's recent PIP award [he was on DLA] and simply moved to PIP by DWP. She has been his F/T carer for over 20 years now. She said he's been given E/R - Living element but nothing for his mobility issues. She asked me can she apply for the mobility element now and what information do they require. And if she does that: - a) will he have to have an assessment? b) will DWP take away the granted E/R - daily Living and start the claim for both afresh? c) how long does this process take as they need the money & couldn't face it, if they freeze his payment until they decide on the new claim for both elements.
She said she's talked to several people by phone but no one has allayed her fears with any concrete answers and no one will physically assist her in person to fill forms, give advice and if required be with them at the time of any assessment etc and she can't attend their offices in person because of her son's constant daily needs/demands. Her son is 51 - was a kid when I first met him when they moved near me. He was a little naughty **** - little tear away with his friends. But they were just kids, I suppose. 
I told her I've never claimed benefits in my life. She thought that because I was caring for my mum many years ago that I would know. I told her I'll read-up and see if I can point her in the right direction and hopefully to the right people. She's in her early 70's so I had simply blurted out can't you go to Age Concern shop and get personal advice, I'm sure they'd help? I don't have the time to go to offices, I'm just angry and exhausted all the time.
This PIP process seems daunting [huge form] and time consuming with huge waiting times for a correct [entitled] decision from what I read on-line thus far.
Maybe someone @ Scope may have relevant/specific information that I can pass to this lady - she's seriously stressed out.
Someone must have experienced similarly with their PIP claim & health issues?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,172 Disability Gamechanger
    She will need to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) which she should put in wiring stating where and why she thinks he should have scored those points. The MR is where another decision maker takes another look at his claim and comes to another decision. No assessment is needed. 

    She has one month from the date of the decision to request it. If she's outside of the 1 month then she must give a reason why she didn't request it within that time. 

    Whether there's any entitlement to mobility part will totally depend on how his conditions affect him. She needs to make sure it's definitely possible to score enough points for an award of mobility, which would be at least 8 points for standard or 12 points for Enhanced. 

    DLA and PIP are 2 completely different benefits. 

    His current new PIP award will continue until a decision is made on the MR. The most likely outcome will be the decision remains the same because only about 23% of MR decisions change in your favour. It's rare to lose points at this stage but it can and does happen. 

     If the MR does change the decision they can proceed to Tribunal. 

     See link for more information. mandatory-reconsideration
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • PIP_4
    PIP_4 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Much thanks for your quick response and advice.
    All seems complicated to me - but I will pass the information to her. I really don't have concrete details of his PIP matters only cursory facts relayed after our brief chat, where she sounded just desperate and worried. 
    At least, he will continue getting his current PIP Award payment (which is what she was worried about) until they re-consider his mobility element (I have seen him in a wheel-chair at times or walking very gingerly due to his breathing issues - for several years now), should he progress further but after he's received this time constrained MR explanation from DWP - PIP.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 1,618 Scope online community team
    Hi @PIP_4, looks like Poppy is already offering some great advice there, but I just wanted to say hello and welcome. 

    I know your neighbour has spoken to people over the phone so far, has she rung the Scope helpline at all? If she hasn't already tried, they might be able to answer some of her questions and point her in the direction of any other places she could get support with her son's PIP.

    I'll move your post over to our PIP boards in case our members have any more advice to offer :)
    Rosie (she/her)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • PIP_4
    PIP_4 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Much thanks Rosie - any advice would be welcomed, which I will pass to her and hope she follows through with it and gets him his entitled financial assistance.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.